Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Great uncle Frederick Bryant

IJB

I have spent many hours trawling the internet trying to identify the Regiment/unit Frederick Bryant was attached to during WW1...assuming he was in fact attached to one!

The attached photo is the best I have and I was hoping that from this blurred image someone may be able to ID the cap badge.

Very many thanks in advance.

IJB1695574671_Fred2(2).jpg.29de5463054495452966377959499423.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. I will start the ball rolling with South Wales Borderers. Do you have more information eg place of birth , next of kin marriage details? 

Michelle

Hello Michelle,

Thanks for such a rapid response.

Sadly I am unable to match the cap badge in the photo with the SW Borderers.

Frederick was born in 1890 (?) in Swathling, Southhampton. I have idea when or where he died. At some point he married Sophie Fletcher.

His parents were Benjamin and Fanny Bryant .

As I live in Australia researching this is rather difficult without the help of the likes you and this forum. The UK archives require me to either visit, or post them a cheque. Either way a reply from them can take months at best......and then there`s 'the virus!'  

Many thanks....I hope to hear from you again.

Cheers, and stay well.

Ian

There is a Medal Index Card for Frederick Bryant 60500 SWB and then 68507 Cheshire Regiment.

Dave

• Admin

Image courtesy of google 

4A50A9B6-C136-4B07-8BFC-D7F7B353D2A1.jpeg

• Admin

@FROGSMILE can you help please?

Michelle 

Hi

There is a sheet on FMP stating

Monmouthshire Regiment Daily Orders of 7 / 11 / 18 The undermentioned have stoppage of pay of 3 shillings 1 and 3/4 pence to cover cost of damage to billets. 

"E" Company.

Then lists 42 privates including 60500 FG Bryant

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

@FROGSMILE can you help please?

Michelle 

You were bang on the money, Michelle (as usual), he’s SWB.  Not only the cap badge but the collar badges confirm it.  Officially the Monmouthshire Regiment was an adjunct of the corps (generic) of the SWB.  This was because they had previously been volunteer battalions of the regiment, although after 1908 they wore their own badge.

As you are aware, but perhaps Ian won’t be, regional association is misleading, especially during WW1 but also before.  Research showed that “at best” few regiments ever exceeded more than around 50% approx from their home recruiting area.  Many regiments had far less.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you one and all.

Although I cannot quite see the resemblance in the cap badge, it's easy to accept that you have all seen many more that I have.

I am now off to research the SWB and find out just what Great Uncle Fred was up to during WW1.

Thank you all once more.

Ian.

• Admin

Does the photo show a pre war regular? The 60500 Bryant was only entitled to the pair. 

2 hours ago, IJB said:

Thank you one and all.

Although I cannot quite see the resemblance in the cap badge, it's easy to accept that you have all seen many more that I have.

I am now off to research the SWB and find out just what Great Uncle Fred was up to during WW1.

Thank you all once more.

Ian.

To give you added context here are some more SWB in the exact same order of dress.

2CD64DE7-8560-483E-8A24-098643D96368.jpeg

6807DA5D-B683-4EE0-8EBF-4C18D312D832.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
3 hours ago, IJB said:

Thank you one and all.

Thank you all once more.

Ian.

The best place to start looking is at How To Research a Soldier on the Long Long Trail. 

Michelle