Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Army Medical Corps at Gallipoli

JOHN MEINHOLD

Can anyone tell me how to find what hospital ship my grandfather, Dr William Claude Horton, RAMC, served on during the Gallipoli campaign?

Many thanks Alf. I must admit, I think I need an army interpreter with me to read the medal card! Very difficult to understand what it all means. But a good starting place for me. I would love to track where he served during the Great War. Gallipoli was the only place he ever mentioned to me

Welcome to the Forum, John

For the sake of 20 minutes or so, you might care to look for articles about the RAMC in Gallipoli on JSTOR  which is offering free access to its archive at present. Recently I've looked for "Salisbury Plain" articles, and the best results related to RAMC activities there as reported in the British Medical Journal. You would be very lucky indeed to find a reference to your grandfather, but you might get an idea of the type of work a doctor did.

And who knows, another member may come along and suggest other sources of background info.

Loose end - on his medal card, the listings beneath the main name block are Medal - listing the medals he was awarded, the British War and Victory and the 1914/1915 Star, the medal rolls and page they are listed on and the remarks record the IV (Issue Voucher) details when they were issued to him.  (The award rolls  show the same issue dates as on his card and no further detail)

Officers had to claim their medals.  The first line on the rear of the card is his application through Commander Etaples Admin District for the Star and the next line is his own application when a civilian in 1919 for the other two medals followed by his reply in 1920 when he got the first.  Holt and Co were his bankers through which he received his mail.

His service record which would show where else he served should be at the National Archives but I haven't been able to track them down.

Max

Max,

I don't think that service records for Temporary Medical Officers were kept. Because these officers were temporary there was no need to keep the records for pension purposes.

Regards,

Alf McM

Many thanks to all for the information. I feel very humble to have received so much input and help