Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ANZAC Day 2020

Kate Wills

This weekend there was to be a large Anzac Day gathering in Northampton, led by the Mayor; but Coronavirus has forced us all to hunker down, and this year's ceremony has regrettably been cancelled - well almost! Instead of a real get-together, we have arranged a virtual memorial with this Northampton Anzac Day 2020 Commemorative Booklet, which includes the order of service and a bugler. Please download a copy with the complements of Northamptonshire WFA.

ANZAC DAY 2020 Booklet.pdf

Edited by Kate Wills

8 minutes ago, Kate Wills said:

This weekend there was to be a large Anzac Day gathering in Northampton, led by the Mayor; but Coronavirus has forced us all to hunker down, and this year's ceremony has regrettably been cancelled - well almost! Instead of a real get-together, we have arranged a virtual memorial with this Northampton Anzac Day 2020 Commemorative Booklet, which includes the order of service and a bugler. Please download a copy with the compements of Northamptonshire WFA.

ANZAC DAY 2020 Booklet.pdf 1.17 MB · 0 downloads

s

8 minutes ago, Kate Wills said:

This weekend there was to be a large Anzac Day gathering in Northampton, led by the Mayor; but Coronavirus has forced us all to hunker down, and this year's ceremony has regrettably been cancelled - well almost! Instead of a real get-together, we have arranged a virtual memorial with this Northampton Anzac Day 2020 Commemorative Booklet, which includes the order of service and a bugler. Please download a copy with the compements of Northamptonshire WFA.

ANZAC DAY 2020 Booklet.pdf 1.17 MB · 0 downloads

sad I know, very low key ceremonies in oz too, lest we forget. The book is wonderful re the commemoration, now cancelled

Edited by Armybrat

Thanks for sharing, Kate.  A beautiful tribute.

Lest we forget

Jonathan

Hi all,

a couple of photos from the peninsula at dawn this day.

There were a few people at the commemorative site on North Beach, including a number of members of the Turkish media, though my wife Serpil and I chose to hold our own vigil in Ariburnu Cemetery, just above the point where the first boat came ashore on 15 April 105 years ago. 

One photo is of the Sphinx in the early morning light and the other is of Canterbury Cemetery with the Sphinx in the background.

Bill

A452530B-CD1D-4BE1-8062-6A1B0D9B237C.jpeg

AD17392E-47C7-472D-87BF-2916F584E917.jpeg

good morning,

this is my way of paying tribute to the ANZAC troops this morning at 05:50 (French time).

DSC_0003.JPG.a6378603fb0f4857f1c2236853432d8c.JPG

mainly at:
3rd Australian Tunnelling Coy. - Hill 70 - Loos - 1917

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

:poppy:

michel

Thank you for sharing the booklet Kate. Alison Butler did a nice job on the stories.

Very quiet here today. Many held a minutes silence at their letterboxes early this morning.

I took my kids for a walk and showed them some old trees that were once a small Remembrance Drive in my suburb. This rotten virus has affected our local paper to the point where they are only posting news and stories online. They published a story online I wrote on a local RAAF man, That is my way of remembering.

Some pictures from our walk attached.

Scott. 

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

Living in Rosyth, Douglas Bank Cemetery is just within the permitted distance for my daily exercise.

Bit of a spur of the moment decision last night, but these are strange times, so I decided to go along for a Dawn vigil, which meant 5.00 am in sunny Fife.

Just me, the Fallen and the birds singing. Really quite moving - I think I might do it more often.

No Great War Anzac's in the cemetery, but I found an Aussie and a Kiwi from WW2 side by side.

I've attached some photos. Not very clear with the flash, but I hope they capture the moment.

Dave

IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2552.JPG

IMG_2553.JPG

St.Nicholas Churchyard, Brockenhurst, Hampshire.

About 100 New Zealand graves here, No.1 NZ Hospital being nearby. 

Brock.JPG

Mates,

I was also out at 6 am with my candle, I looked up and down the street, but saw only a few people out like this old soldier.

Being not allowed to go to the local war memorial and to visit the local RSL, I was not able to have the one drink a year I allow myself now days.

SO like always I remembered my old mates, now gone and remember the good times and bad.

And get on with it, and fade away.

Lest we Forget.

S.B

I saw this out on a walk this morning and thought a lot of effort had gone into it. Particularly the memorial.

Scott 

IMG_8160.jpg

IMG_8162.jpg

Really nice to see the images of how people have chosen to remember in their own way. Personal displays, a really interesting booklet and a nice song. They are still remembered. Hopefully next year we'll be able to post images of people coming together again to remember. 

Like Steve, my age and a pre-existing condition, mean that I am limited under current local Covid-19 regulations. So not only was there no Anzac Day service this year, but also for me, no trips to the park for exercise, to see the jackals and the geese, or to take in some much needed fresh air.

Donning the obligatory face mask (from today there's a fine for not using one in public) I pound the city streets for physical and mental therapy, trying to keep to a quieter, tree-lined route wherever possible.

By happy coincidence today (26th April) my walk took me to a neighbourhood built in the late 40s/early 50s, for returning soldiers who named their streets appropriately; remembering their comrades with The Corps, and The Unknown Warrior, etc.

Neither did they neglect the previous generation, with streets named after Monash, Margolin and Wedgwood, all of whom fought at Gallipoli.

As did the Zion Mule Corps and the latter are particularly remembered (together with Capt. Joseph Trumpldor) in The Gallipoli Fighters Street.

Lock-down there may be, but somehow we all manage to remember as best we can, when and where we can

Not Forgotten

691983921_LohameGallipoli.jpg.ae41768e2c4fc15472d3fd4f477e1201.jpg

11 hours ago, DoubleD said:

a nice song

Thank you - I should have said, the singer and composer of the tune is Martyn Wyndham-Read, the words by Cicely Fox-Smith (1882-1954) who wrote a fair amount of GW poetry.

3 hours ago, seaJane said:

Thank you - I should have said, the singer and composer of the tune is Martyn Wyndham-Read, the words by Cicely Fox-Smith (1882-1954) who wrote a fair amount of GW poetry.

I have several of C. Fox Smith Smith's books on ships and mariners.

1 hour ago, Falloden said:

I have several of C. Fox Smith Smith's books on ships and mariners.

Lucky you! I have one, somewhere...