Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How can I find the soldiers unit?

SueW

Hello,

I am trying to find my husband’s Grandfather’s unit. I cannot find his service records online but I know from the service medal and Awards roll that he was a gunner in the Royal Field Artillery. His name was Joseph Patrick Walsh and his service number was 100218 and from his Medal card it tells me that the Theatre of War first served in was (1)France and date of entry therein was 27-9-15. Is there any way that I can ascertain from this date, who he served with? 

Thanks

Sue

Check 

Medal rolls

Local papers 

Absent voters roll 

Sue

I had a look at others on the same page of the 1914-15 Star Medal Rolls with a disembarkation date of 25/09/1915. 100273 Joseph Elcock from Dudley has both a Service Record in WO 363 and a Pension Record in WO 364. Joseph was posted to 25 Div on 26/08/1915 and A/112 Brigade (of 25 Div) on 30/08/1915. His AF B 103 (in WO 364) confirms this and that he was wounded serving with that Unit in 1918. I was looking for others with records to see if any were 25 Div but could not find any. It is therefore only a possible. The War Diaries of the Commander RA 25 Div and 112 Brigade are on Ancestry so you could start there. Good luck

Brian

EDIT: Just had a quick look at the WDs the Brigades disembarked at Havre on 25th, 26th and 27th so you can extend the exercise in the Medal Rolls to those dates. I will have another look later today.

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

Brian 

Thank you so much for this. I didn’t know if anyone had done some research regarding the dates. I had a look on the long long trail website and they have a list of dates for the siege batteries. I didn’t know if someone had done the same for the Royal Field Artillery or is that too complicated. I have very little knowledge regarding this.

Sue

Brian,

Also when looking on the medal roll, what did it mean when it had (1) after the date of disembarkation as one soldier had 2(b)? Would it also make a difference if they were a gunner or a driver, or could they still be in the same unit?

Sue

42 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

Sue

I had a look at others on the same page of the 1914-15 Star Medal Rolls with a disembarkation date of 25/09/1915. 100273 Joseph Elcock from Dudley has both a Service Record in WO 363 and a Pension Record in WO 364. Joseph was posted to 25 Div on 26/08/1915 and A/112 Brigade (of 25 Div) on 30/08/1915. His AF B 103 (in WO 364) confirms this and that he was wounded serving with that Unit in 1918. I was looking for others with records to see if any were 25 Div but could not find any. It is therefore only a possible. The War Diaries of the Commander RA 25 Div and 112 Brigade are on Ancestry so you could start there. Good luck

Brian

EDIT: Just had a quick look at the WDs the Brigades disembarked at Havre on 25th, 26th and 27th so you can extend the exercise in the Medal Rolls to those dates. I will have another look later today.

1 hour ago, SueW said:

a list of disembarkment dates telling me which RFA divisions disembarked on a particular day

Hi Sue,

I'm afraid it is not that easy. Sometimes the date of embarkation is given on the Medal Index Card.

In addition, he may have gone over to France as a Base Detail (reinforcement) to be sent on where needed a little later.

However, a date of September 27, 1915 could refer to 112th Brigade RFA or 25th Divisional Ammunition Column.

You may not be aware that he has a record in Royal Artillery Attestations 1883-1942 on Findmypast.

He re-enlisted for 4 years on February 4, 1919, was renumbered 1044377 in August 1920.

He may have spent some time in India looking at the birth of his two sons.

Edited by David Porter

If he re-enlisted in 1919 for 4 years his service record (hopefully inc his WW1 service) will be held by the Mod. They usually specify a death cert, but this may be waived as was born over 116 years ago. Again due to the age I don't think the Mod are too fussy about if the applicant is the primary nok, eg last surviving child. Be prepared for a long wait.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

11 hours ago, David Porter said:

Hi Sue,

I'm afraid it is not that easy. Sometimes the date of embarkation is given on the Medal Index Card.

In addition, he may have gone over to France as a Base Detail (reinforcement) to be sent on where needed a little later.

However, a date of September 27, 1915 could refer to 112th Brigade RFA or 25th Divisional Ammunition Column.

You may not be aware that he has a record in Royal Artillery Attestations 1883-1942 on Findmypast.

He re-enlisted for 4 years on February 4, 1919, was renumbered 1044377 in August 1920.

He may have spent some time in India looking at the birth of his two sons.

Yes thank you I did find this. I guess I will have to send off for his records. I wasn’t sure that I could do that as my husband isn’t next of kin but worth a try. Thank you

Sue

Edited by SueW

9 hours ago, travers61 said:

If he re-enlisted in 1919 for 4 years his service record (hopefully inc his WW1 service) will be held by the Mod. They usually specify a death cert, but this may be waived as was born over 116 years ago. Again due to the age I don't think the Mod are too fussy about if the applicant is the primary nok, eg last surviving child. Be prepared for a long wait.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Thank you, I wasn’t aware I could send off for this as my husband isn’t the primary next of kin as you say but I will try thank you.

Sue

Edited by SueW