Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Transfer

Old Bid

Hi, Is it possible to work out when a soldier transferred or moved to another battalion or am I  wasting my time? Chap in question A.Hobden started life as 108 in Royal Sussex then ended up in 8 Royal West Kent 7303 where he died. Just trying to work out how and why he moved.

Regards

If you actually mean, when did he change regiments? , then the answer is probably yes. By looking at surviving service records of other men with close numbers you should get the answer.

Craig

His Medal Index Card only shows service overseas with the Royal West Kents. The Service Medal Roll for his Victory Medal & British War Medal, (Ancestry), will hopefully show if he served with any other battalions overseas apart from the 8th.

As he only received those two medals, then he did no go overseas until some point on or after the 1st January 1916. The 8th Royal West Kent Regiment had been in France since the 30th August 1915, so he was part of a draft. If the 8th was the only Battalion he served overseas with then he probably arrived in France from his UK unit intended as a draft for a fighting battalion in the same regiment, reached an Infantry Base Depot and from there was re-directed to wherever the need was greatest - the 8th RWK. This increasingly happened from the start of 1916 onwards.

A search of nearby RWK service numbers will hopefully turn up some surviving service papers where the IBD number and date of posting can be identified.

If he served with another RWK battalion first then there would be a slightly variation in that after a spell in hospital \ convalescence he marched back into an IBD and from there was posted to wherever he was needed.

It is very unlikely that his transfer between the Royal Sussex to the Royal West Kents had anything to do with his service overseas.

Let us know what you find out - I could fill a page speculating on possible scenario's:)

Good luck with your search,

Peter

Thanks for advice, rain coming in this week so will have time to search and see what I find.

Regards

Well so far I have established Arthur started as 108 in 5th Royal Sussex. Then as stated, transferred somewhen in 1916 as MIC has only pair entitlement. When he transferred he was a Cpl 7303 then rising to L/Sgt 7303 by at least 9/11/1916 as I found a copy of his will which was dated then. His medal roll lists RWK as cpl and L/Sgt. only.

I have found some other soldiers being transferred to 8 RWK in 1916 even from the 9th batt. so they must have been in need. But no link to any service numbers of similar YET.

Regards

War Diary for 8 RWK (WO95/2213/2) has little info on drafts arriving, other than June 1916 when there were 4 OR drafts, main batch of 175 on 2nd, 14 on 9th,18 on 15th and 11 on 21st. Though there were losses of around 200 in August 1916 no drafts shown up to Nov 1916.This may have been entirely to do with the style of the diarist, who was more interested in the minutae of Officer movements !

Edited by sotonmate

• Admin

The war diary of the 8th QORWK is one of the briefest, drafts not mentioned son not much help there.

The LLT notes the 2/5 Royal Sussex  and 3/6 Cyclist became the 4th Reserve Battalion on the 1st September 1916 and were in Tunbridge Wells (Kent).  These were Home Service Territorial Force units.  Following the losses of 1916 there was Great agitation to ‘comb out’ men at home, including men in the Home Armies.

7347 RWK (3/6 Cyclist) was posted to the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion QORWK under the terms of Army Order 204 1916 which effectively posted men from TF units to General Service.  To France 3 November 1916, posted to 8th Battalion joining Battalion in the field 19th November 1916.  Corroborated by 7381 admitted to hospital 24/2/1918 showing 15 months with Field Force, i.e. November 1916.

SDGW also identifies a number of ‘previously served’ 4 digit (TF) numbers to Royal Sussex in 8th QORWK.

Ken

Thanks for all info. Is there a standard practice for when wills were asked to be written by soldiers? Ie going abroad to serve or before first duty in front line?

Also I have always understood that MIC stood for Medal Index Card. Now I have seen a TV programme that deals in medals and they always refers to this document as a Medal Issue Certificate, which one is right.

Regards 

Well just found a chap that served 8 RWK 7342 . Albert Henly seems to have served 5 R Sussex 320 then discharged then rejoined R Sussex 4229 then transferred to 8 RWK 19/11/16 then taken pow in Germany. Repatriated later.

This would lend itself as to Arthur possibly joining same time? His will is dated 19/11/16. Any thoughts?

Regards 

12 hours ago, Old Bid said:

Also I have always understood that MIC stood for Medal Index Card. Now I have seen a TV programme that deals in medals and they always refers to this document as a Medal Issue Certificate, which one is right.

Medal Index Card is correct.

The TV 'Expert' was wrong.

I think someone commented on this on another thread recently.

• Admin
14 hours ago, Old Bid said:

Well just found a chap that served 8 RWK 7342 . Albert Henly seems to have served 5 R Sussex 320 then discharged then rejoined R Sussex 4229 then transferred to 8 RWK 19/11/16 then taken pow in Germany. Repatriated later.

This would lend itself as to Arthur possibly joining same time? His will is dated 19/11/16. Any thoughts?

Regards 

There is no doubt that there was a large draft of Royal Sussex Territorial transferred to the QORWK in England and who embarked for France and the BEF on 3 November 1916, joining the 8th Battalion on the 19 November.  You must draw your own conclusions in the absence of a service record and lack of comment in the war diary, but there seems little doubt he was in that draft and as in previous post one of many ‘combed out’ from the Home Armies.

I do not think the date of the will was governed by any instruction but it would seem prudent to so if moving into an active service unit in the front line if not done before.

Ken

Many thanks for all your help. Albert Henley seems to have followed a remarkably similar army story to Arthur. In terms of regiments and numbers only exception is Arthur got killed and Albert got taken prisoner and survived.

Regards