Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering the Zeebrugge Raid

domwalsh

In memory of the gallant band who attacked Zeebrugge on St George's Day in 1918, especially members of the 4th Battalion Royal Marines

I had the occasion to visit Zeebrugge during a cruise in 2019 and found and visited the church and graveyard where the headstones and memorials are, very moving indeed.

The gave the dragon's tail a dammed good twist :poppy:.

58 DM.

:poppy::poppy::poppy:

The article that @domwalsh and I put together for the centenary. Not perfect around Frank Pocock's service history I'm afraid - that was my fault...

https://liveicomgrshot.blob.core.windows.net/jrnmsfiles/articles/413_jrnms_104_131.pdf

Could I add a mention for Arthur Henry Cassell  AB MID,  normally serving on HMS Hindustan who was on Vindictive that day, and is now commemorated with so many others on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial. His family lived in Jessie Road Southsea, and he is additionally remembered with pride on his grandparent's headstone in Portsmouth's Kingston Cemetery. The register gives a later address for his parents.

IMG_0531.JPG

40465_291246-00019a.jpg

Edited by keithmroberts

:poppy:

Leading Seaman Daniel Allan Bowthorpe, HMS Vindictive, died of his wounds on the 24th April 1918 at Dover Hospital and is buried in Norwich.

26789066727_db977ba3c8.jpgLeading Seaman Daniel Allan Bowthorpe (Norwich) Zeebrugge Raid 1918 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

4377038727_5646eedb2a.jpgLeading Seaman Bowthorpe - HMS Vindictive - 1918 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we shall remember them.

Peter

Remembering Captain Henry Halahan RN, formerly CO of the RN Siege Guns on the Belgian Coast (my avatar), in command of the naval raiding force, who was killed by machine gun fire on the false deck of Vindictive as the ship approached the Mole and he stepped out of cover to supervise the deployment of the landing brows.  Buried at sea off the Goodwin Sands. :poppy:

Two survivors from VINDICTIVE: Surgeon Henry St Clair Colson, photographed 1904; Staff Surgeon James McCutcheon, SMO to the raid, photographed 1910 as a Surgeon.

H St C Colson.jpg

James McCutcheon.jpg

Edited by seaJane
reduce size of images

22 hours ago, johntanner said:

image.png.fcae8946eb900e930a1a1f9f9cec7830.png

The sergeant recommended for a decoration was Norman Finch who got the VC 

• 1 month later...

From Local sources

Andy

img512.jpg

img513.jpg

Attached is a (rather poor) copy of an article from Rawtenstall's 'Rossendale Free Press' regarding 1st A.M. Frank Trippier RNAS which records his contribution during the Zeebrugge Raid. 

We know from ADM 137/3894 that Frank Trippier was one of three Vindictive mechanics in Lt Hewitt's "Large Flammenwerfers, smoke and rockets" group and, prior to the operation, was a member of the Admiralty Experimental Station at Stratford.  Lt Hewitt's 1919 report of the raid also mentions that the large fixed flame-thrower was put out of action by shellfire which tally's with the account of Frank Trippier's wounds in the newspaper account.

The photo (IWM) shows the Morris Static Flame Projector during training.  Frank Trippier is quite possibly one of the men shown.

However a photo of Frank Trippier has yet to found I'm hoping that there might be a surviving group photo (similar to Stiletto-33853 excellent photo above) tucked away in an album somewhere that identifies him ……… 

Trippier.jpg

Morris Static Flame Projector.jpg

Edited by TullochArd