Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Talbot House in financial difficulties

seaJane

There is already a thread on this subject, but cant find it at the moment.

Anyone who can, please donate (yes, I have, in case you are wonderin).

T

Never been there but know it's history. I have sent a noggin or two...

Bernard

I placed on in the section on Charity Appeals.

keith

Apologies Keith, I never thought of looking there.

18 hours ago, seaJane said:

Apologies Keith, I never thought of looking there.

No need Jane, this will have been seen by additional  members who don't look through new topics each day, and the reminder will help others. I appreciate that so many worthwhile enterprises including museums are going to be in serious trouble, but Talbot House will always be a special place for many of us.

Edited by keithmroberts

A worthy cause… I visit at least once a year, when friends of ours are wardens.

Let's hope they can raise the sum they need.

M.

Doing ok...

€56,748 raised of €100,000 target

16 hours ago, Bernard_Lewis said:

Bernard

Ditto & Ditto

I wonder if either of my grandfathers ever visited? I shall never know now

[but we did have a master at school who had a spell working with Toc H]

Good luck to them

and one never knows; I might get to visit one day

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

On 22/04/2020 at 20:02, Bernard_Lewis said:

Bernard

It is so much more than mere “history”, it’s one of the most spiritual places I’ve ever been...and, yes! I’ve contributed.

14 minutes ago, BullerTurner said:

It is so much more than mere “history”, it’s one of the most spiritual places I’ve ever been...and, yes! I’ve contributed.

Spot on. I am a Talbotonian paying an annual fee and have sent a small donation in addition.

From Henry Williamson’s Love and the Loveless:

They stopped outside a tall grey house, on the door of which was a notice, All rank abandon ye who enter here. Inside on the wall was a painted hand pointing to the door . . . They went up a wooden stairway, and then up another flight, and so along a bare wooden corridor . . . up some steep open treads, and so into a large loft with beams and posts holding up the roof.

Phillip saw it was a chapel. From the king-post was suspended a chandelier with a ring of candles. Beyond, against one wall, was a red altar cloth, with green borders. Another red cloth, with gilt tassels, hung from a beam above the altar. The space before the altar was flanked by two massive candles on wooden stands. Beside each was a bowl of flowers. A carpet covered the centre of the floor. There were a few plain wooden chairs and benches, and two shrines, one on either side of the altar, below semi-circular windows. There was a lectern painted white. . . .

The air shivered with deeper undertones of heavy howitzers, pounding away in the Salient. Then the sun came out behind a cloud and light shone whiter through the semi-circular windows, Here men had clumped up the steep and narrow stair, borne up by Hope, seeking solace at the verge of unutterable Darkness. . . .”

My biography of Henry Coombe-Tennant of Cadoxton, Neath will be published in 2021 by Y Lolfa, a Wales-based publisher.

Though I've never visited Talbot House, I feel an affinity as Henry certainly visited it. He served in the Second World War and knew Tubby Clayton. Indeed, Tubby read the lesson at Henry's mum's memorial service in 1956. And Henry's older brother, Christopher (Tennant - the Coombe was added to the family name after his death) was KIA in 1917 while serving with the Welsh Guards, the same regiment that Henry joined in the 1930s. And served with some distinction - MC, and SOE agent.

Bernard

Is anyone else listening to Simon's talk this evening?

• 4 weeks later...

The Belgian  newspaper " De Standaard " pays today an article on this topic and says that " Talbot House " is reopening today its doors.

Good to hear. I hope everybody takes care and stays safe.

Only 4,000 EUR to go for the target of 100,000 EUR to be achieved

Excellent news. well done all.

Good!

€114,582 raised of €100,000 target - Excellent news

Some money has been collected by the Scottish veteran George Sutherland, 98 years. He has been making a “ sponsor-walk “  from the Lyssenthoek Military Cemetery up until Talbot House.