Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A. Mech 3 James H Wheatcroft - Looking into history

Fishyfins

Hello everyone!
Im looking into my great grandfather service in the great war. He served in the army Egypt for a few months in early 1916 with the Med Exp Force, before his division was moved to France, where he spent most of his time in the Somme area. Thankfully his battalion was on reserve on the 1st day of the Somme, but he was involved in the battle of Ancre at the end of the Somme campaign. He was twice injured during his time in France. 
After his last injury, he joined the RFC instead of going back to the army, and its this period of his service that i am currently trying to learn more about.

We know that he joined the RFC on the 2/1/17, and then transferred to the RAF when it was formed on the 1/4/18. It looks like he might have then been officially discharged on the 30/4/20. He is listed as having been an "A Mech 3", which im guessing is an aircraft mechanic rank 3? His trade classification was a coppersmith. Outside of his military time, he worked as an engineer, so that makes sense. I have attached some relevant paperwork i have on him, as well as a photo of him in what i assume is his RFC uniform, along with "wound stripe".

What im mainly wanting to know is where he might have spent his time in the RFC/RAF. At what airfields could he have been billeted? is there any way of finding out? I have expanded one of the sections from his records that appears relevant, but im struggling to interpret it. Under his movements, It says his departure authority was "11 sixth group"? and i cant read the unit, but it seem his recieving unit was EPD Baldonnel "for dispersal"  (which i assume is Baldonnel airfield in ireland?). This was on the 10/3/19.

Also, as an a Mech 3, what sort of jobs would be doing, and what sort of aircraft could he have been working on?

Thanks for the help
Adam

JHW WW1 Records 2.jpg

Shell Shock.jpg

James Henry Wheatcroft.jpg

Highlight.jpg

16 hours ago, quemerford said:

His record says 105 Sqn, so that's a good start.

Great spot, thankyou! Hadnt seen that! If only i could read the unit from which he was transferred XD

Quote  :- After his last injury, he joined the RFC instead of going back to the army, and its this period of his service that i am currently trying to learn more about.

The RFC was part of the Army.

Steve