Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Mattters - Tonbridge, Kent

johndavidswarbrick

Together with another researcher, we have produced a paperback book [290 pages] which deals with some aspects of the impact of the Great War on Tonbridge, Kent. The first half of the book deals with the various units that were stationed in the town during the period of the war, and how that affected the place. There is also some information on the pre-war Territorial units and the Volunteers associated with the town. The second half has short biographies and service details of some 340 men who are recorded on the town's War Memorial. The text is accompanied with dozens of contemporary and relevant photographs. All profits from the sale of the book will go to the British Legion Poppy Appeal. The book [£14 inc. postage & packing] is available by post from the following website:

https://www.mrbooks.co.uk/military-matters

Dave Swarbrick

Ordered, thank you.

My interest is primarily that the 1/9th Battalion, King's Liverpool Regiment were in Tonbridge early in 1915.

I have some photographs taken during that period of their training. I hope to be able to identify the location where the they were taken in due course.

I am on the Tonbridge FB Group, having grown up there. I am aware of the book via posts by Pam Mills. I will look to order the book via your link as it will have dual interest for me, the place and the military aspect.

Regards

Peter