Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Liverpool Regiment: Portrait Photo Lookup Offer.

Promenade

17 hours ago, Promenade said:

Ian (TullochArd),

Sorry struck out on all three.

Promenade

Thanks Promenade.  Much appreciated …...…. and sorry for leaving out the context!  These three are from about a dozen in the Rawtenstall area who served in the Liverpool Scottish.  On 30th November 1917 the Battalion was manning the front in the Epehy area and at 07:00 a tremendous German barrage destroyed all wire and visual communications with Z and Y Company. An hour later the German 79th Reserve Division was seen advancing into their trenches and it became apparent to all that Z and Y Company were not only greatly reduced in fighting strength but totally surrounded on all sides including the rear. Those few able to withdraw did so and consolidated resistance until relieved at 16:00. This aggressive and successful German attack cost the Battalion 101 killed, 68 wounded and 354 missing. Many of the missing, 358708 Pte Herbert Greenoff of Whitwell Bottom, 358771 Pte Joseph Waller of Rawtenstall, 358710 Pte Percy Clegg of Rawtenstall and 358789 Pte Fred Nuttall of Cloughfold were later found to be prisoners in Germany. 358266 Pte William Robert Ridehalgh, of the same Battalion and from Newchurch, was killed in this engagement. Thanks again.  Ian. 

Ian,

Closest I can get searching my photographic records of men with links to Rawtenstall is Pte Tattersall (10 KLR attd 13 KLR) who in 1901 was living at 345 Burnely Rd Rawtenstall, 'The Printers Arms' with his parents. Killed in 1916.

Promenade

Promenade,

Firstly a (virtual) doff of the hat for your generous offer to help those of us with KLR relatives.  My family came mostly from St.Helens so I have a few KLR soldiers mixed into various parts of my family tree.  Here's my list in case any of them appear in your photographic archive:

Pte Haselden , William Gordon Haselden (66379).  His surname is mis-spelled as "Haseldon" on his MIC.  Enlisted 24 Feb 1916 and served in 17 Labour Coy KLR, spending a fair amount of time in the UK having numerous medical boards.  Eventually went to France 6 Mar 1917 and posted to 73 Labour Coy on 14 May 1917.  Eventually transferred to the Labour Corps and posted to Labour Group HQ on 1 Sep 1917 with a different service number.

Pte Lee, Thomas (14600).  Before signing up, Thomas was a porter at Edge Hill, Liverpool.  He joined the 12th KLR and went to France 24 July 1915.  Suffered a gunshot/shrapnel wound to the head on 5 Sep 1916 and was listed as “died of wounds” although he actually survived.  Returned to his Bn on 9 Oct 1916.  Thomas was killed 23 March 1918 and he has no known grave.  

Pte Pickavance, Harry Ernest (84926).  Served in the 18th KLR and was captured on 21 March 1918 at Vaux.  He was imprisoned at Giessen POW Camp.  Eventually returned home after the war.

Edward Spencer (55553).  Served in the 3rd KLR.  Started out in Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry.  Transferred to 3rd KLR on 3 Sep 1916 but retained higher pay of a cavalryman.  Believe sent to Egyptian Expeditionary Force but transferred to 1st York and Lancs Regt 22 Oct 1916.  GSW chest 9 Nov 1917 returned to UK.

The above 4 all represent members of my maternal Grandparents' families.  While not particularly close relations, I can trace my connection to each of them.  I've made it a personal mission, as part of my family history research, to document those members of my family who served in the military.  As the only veteran in my family, I'm uniquely placed to interpret the records and turn them into write-ups that anyone can understand.  

Any info about the above would be very, VERY much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Checked my files and have sent you a PM on one of the men.

It is my experience the higher the KLR 5-fig No the less chance of a photo - they were later enlistments and at this time the press were printing fewer and fewer photos of men who were not killed. But who knows there may be one out there somewhere!

Promenade

11 minutes ago, Promenade said:

Hi Mark,

Checked my files and have sent you a PM on one of the men.

It is my experience the higher the KLR 5-fig No the less chance of a photo - they were later enlistments and at this time the press were printing fewer and fewer photos of men who were not killed. But who knows there may be one out there somewhere!

Promenade

Many thanks Promenade.  Haven't received the PM yet...but looking forward to seeing what you've uncovered.

Again, truly appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Mark

Hello, Do you have any photographs of men from the 2/6th Battalion Liverpool Kings?  I have a group photograph with my Great Grandfather, there are 6 other men in the photograph and I would love to identify them and hopefully find family of the other soldiers to pass it on to.  If you know of any 2/6th men I could check them against my photograph and see if there are any matches?  My Great Grandfather was Herbert Boardman, can you check if you have one of him?  Thanks : )

Tam

Hello Promenade,

I'm looking for photos of three Tom Pickle who were in the King's Regt: No 359796, No 358337 & No 5288.

Thanks in anticipation 

Sav.

Tam,

I presume you are asking about No 50722 - unfortunately I do not have a photo of him.

He served with 2/6 KLR from 18/8/17 to 17/9/18 when he was wounded.

As the war progressed fewer and few photos were published and those that were tended to be for men who were killed or for officers.

There probably are group photos of the 2/6 KLR out there somewhere however I sidestepped these only being interested in named photos.

On a personal level I find it very difficult to say with any degree of certainty that a man in one photo is that of a man in another for a whole raft of reasons .

Regards

Promenade

Hello Promenade,

Tom Pickles ws a very good friend of my grandfathers family. They lost contact after my grandfather migrated to Australia in 1929. I've inherited a photo album from my great aunt which contains an unnamed photo of a young man wearing a King's Regt badge on his lapel.  I'd like to compare a known photo Tom Pickles with that photo  to see if he is whom we suspect him to be.

Regards

Sav

Sav,

I was somewhat confused as you had called him Pickle in your original post - also did not realise that you had posted about him previously.

To add to my confusion you appear to have identified him as No 359796 based on his existing paperwork -  thus, this implies are seeking a photo of  No 359796) - are the other two men still in the frame? I may have missed your response to the post linking No 5288 to Preston - some miles away - is this location relevant. I only ask as I have to do a lot of searching of my files and want to be sure that I am only looking for the man you are interested in. The confusion is all mine just need clarification from you.

Promenade

Hello Promenade

Sorry for any confusion. Tom Pickles is the correct name excuse the typo. The most likely candidate is No 359796 as he was born about 1899 and was a coalminers in the Huncoat area before enlisting. I seeking a match for the unidentified fellow with the King's Liverpool Regt badge on his lapel in the photo in my great aunts album.I've attached the photo below.

Regards

Sav 

img20200413_12340623.jpg

Hi Sav,

Unfortunately I do not have a photo for 359796 for comparison. The details I hold for No 5288 does not match your criteria - he was a mill worker. There are about 20 men with the name Pickles who served with the KLR during the war and sadly I cannot tie any of them down. Your best bet is to have a look at local newspapers (when they become available again).

Promenade

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

wondering if you have a photo of 

James Birch 1st BN KIA 14.011.14 reg number 6627

Joseph Kenworthy 12th (Service) Bn

Thomas Alfred Birch KIA 01/07/16 Somme 20th Bn  Reg No. 22015

many thanks

Graham

James and Alfred are brothers, Alfred actually re-enlisted the day James was killed (14.11.14) James is my GreatGrandFather (born 1882 and also served in the 2nd Boer War), we knew nothing of his story until I started researching the family tree. Plus other than the description in his service papers we have no idea what he or his brother looks like. Alfred was born in 1878, both born in Liverpool

Joseph Kenworthy Is my Grandfather and survived the war but never mentioned his time in the Kings. We also don’t have any photos of him in uniform. Born 1882 Also in Liverpool

Let me know if you need any particular further information 

thanks G

Hello Graham,

Had a look and unfortunately no trace of any of the three sorry.

You may be aware that there is a write up of Pte Birch in the book 'A Singular Day on the Somme - the casualties of the Liverpool Pals 1 July 1916' but sadly no photo.

Promenade

I bought this on a whim - a young newly-minted subaltern in the KLR. No idea who he is. Portrait by a Mr Dowden of Bootle. A very long shot - can you identify him? My grandfather fought at 3rd Ypres with the King's although he had trained and been shipped over with the Border Regiment. An odd lot to put a MD&HB shunter living in Seaforth with. .

P1030549.JPG

Hello,

Thank you so much for your kind offer. I don't know whether you will be able to help me (though I suspect not). My grandfather (at the time Lieutenant) Clive W Robinson was in the Lancashire Hussar Yeomanry which was folded late in to the war in to the Kings Liverpool Regiment (though he transferred elsewhere just before this). However his own personal papers (which I am lucky to have) claim that he was 'attached in the field' to the Kings Liverpool Regiment as well as undergoing infantry training at Etaples. So I was wondering if you have any trace of him to try and clear up my confusion. Better yet a photo for the only photos I have of him are from WW2.

Yours gratefully,

P

IanA,

A really nice photo but with over 790 officer portraits (most of whom have moustaches which change faces significantly) of varying degrees of quality it is a task beyond me without more clues - sorry.

But if you don't ask . .

Promenade

P,

I have no record of him as he was never in the KLR - his photo may be out there somewhere but I would have just ignored it without any reference to the KLR or an identifiable KLR cap badge.

Promenade

Promenade; can I make an offer rather than a request? I have a photo of 3934 Pte. John 'Jack' Jones of the 1/8th KLR if you haven't already got him. The photos and the back story are in this thread.

Pete.

29 minutes ago, Promenade said:

P,

I have no record of him as he was never in the KLR - his photo may be out there somewhere but I would have just ignored it without any reference to the KLR or an identifiable KLR cap badge.

Promenade

No problem.

Thanks for looking

P

1 hour ago, Promenade said:

IanA,

A really nice photo but with over 790 officer portraits (most of whom have moustaches which change faces significantly) of varying degrees of quality it is a task beyond me without more clues - sorry.

But if you don't ask . .

Promenade

It is a good photo isn't it? Couldn't resist it. Do take a copy for your archives. I posted because I have faith in the forum. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Ian