Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bank at 1 Lombard Street in 1939

rflory

I am researching a Great War Lieutenant, Harry Norman Dain, RGA, who the 1939 Register indicates was Bank Manager of a bank at 1 Lombard Street, London EC 3.  Does any one know what bank was there in 1939?  The name of the bank given in the 1939 Register appears to be 'N P,' 'M P' or 'H P' Bank (the handwriting is difficult to read.). The answer may help determine if my man is the same Harry Norman Dain who received an MBE (Civil) in the 1960 Birthday Honours as National Savings District Member for S W Hampshire.

Hi

I presume you have his MIC and medal award rolls? 

FYI His wife was Lotte Marie Stephanie Dain died  Bournemouth 30th  March, 1979.

Harry died 20th. Aug 1985 Bournemouth, ,Dorset, 23, 367.

In 1925 Harry was living at 44 Furze Lane,Purley., aged 28 yrs, Bank Official on board "Caledonia" to Marseilles accompanied by his brother Allan Ralph Dain, 26 yrs Bank Clerk. Can't find any trace of Harry's marriage.

Their mother Annie Elizabeth nee Wright died 3.11.1934 probate to both sons. Harry Bank Manager, Allan R Bank Accountant., Allan died 1989, Newton Abbott Devon.

Regards Barry.

Edited by The Inspector

On 20/04/2020 at 08:51, DavidOwen said:

I would agree with Barry.

The nearest Nat West today is at 21 Lombard Street whilst 1 Lombard Street is now a restaurant http://www.1lombardstreet.com/history/

21 Lombard Street was a Westminster Bank branch - in those days, London County & Westminster Bank.

Ron