Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, 2/4th Battalion

HTSCF Fareham

I wonder if anyone could please help me with my chap, Private 31124 William Ernest Read, who was KiA on 28/09/1918?

If I'm reading the War diary correct, he would've lost his life at the Marcoing Line trench. Can someone please confirm this and then, would this have been part of The Battle of the Canal du Nord?

Thanks!

Edited by HTSCF Fareham

Edward,

Could you say if other such annotated maps were produced and if so where would I find them, I'm a cartographic ignoramus.

I suspect somebody will be along soon with a google earth/ trench map overlay pointing out the exact location of the trench in todays world which I find amazing but have no idea how to achieve.

Simon

33 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

See E20 and 29 for position of LNL 27/28th Sept 18

43112_2977_0-00922.jpg

Thank you for posting the map. I'm struggling to see the detail behind the hand written content. I can see the Canal du Nord to the western edge of the map, near to sector 20 that you highlighted.

I have to defer to my original query -

If I'm reading the War diary correct, he would've lost his life at the Marcoing Line trench. Can someone please confirm this and then, would this have been part of The Battle of the Canal du Nord?

30 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

Mancpal  this map is from the war diaries of the 57th Div 170th Brigade. I have not seen that many annotated as such but I am sure there are many more when searching Divisional and HQ diaries.

HTSCF Fareham https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14.738101264203774&lat=50.15662&lon=3.08930&layers=101465167&b=1

Whoa, I'd totally forgotten the National Library of Scotland's wonderful collection of maps!

7 hours ago, EDWARD1 said:

See E20 and 29 for position of LNL 27/28th Sept 18

Here is the Hindenburg Support Line and Canal du Nord from September 1918 side-by-side.  The squares referenced by Edward are at the extreme LHS and RHS of the modern map.

image.png.3c1150d29c82d4e6536634b9ee2a94ea.png