Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Please help with inscription..Gunner F.J. Mears artwork

Daryl

I have recently been fortunate enough to purchase a couple of original watercolours by Gunner F.J. Mears  - Royal Garrison Artillery - BEF
Over the last few days I have been overwhelmed with the research that I have been able to do. It has been a real eye-opener to realize what those poor soldiers went through. The watercolours have appealed to me since I first found them. They somehow bring home the atrocities of what each individual went through. I wonder how many agree with me by simply doing a search on his works.

I am hoping that, with your help I may learn more about one of my pictures. Despite hours of studying so many wonder maps I cannot identify what must be the location detailed in the title of one picture. I have done all I can with the image, with my limited experience to enhance the writing.

Mears signature & title is as ever written upside down as, to quote him, "with the world being up side down, why should his signature be any different"

The final word is Ypres, could the previous word be chateau? Is the first letter of the first word perhaps P and not T as it first appears.

I would love to know what it says and look forward to your comments.

Thank you all, in advance.

Daryl

FJ Mears.jpg

Detail group.jpg

Edited by Daryl

welcome to the forum

may i suggest you change title to add something like"what does this say". Draws people in !

Ive had a look , some of his painting I rather like, but I have no taste it seems as liked the cheapest one :w00t:

Edited by Coldstreamer

It's not great artwork... but I felt it to be very evocative. The exhibition .. Brushes with War: Art from the Front Line 1914-1918 Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum was created such that the exhibits were not artists, not even 'war artists' but amateur paintings. The images show the sentiment. It worked for me!

Thank you for your reply.

White Chateau? I'll give it some research, thanks for that one,

Daryl

White Chateau, also called Bayernschloss, or Chateau Mahieu, an impressive white castle about 1.5 km (1 mile) west of the Canal. It was where now the Palingbeek Golf Course.

It's from an old post by Aurel Sercu Major-General Aurel Sercu Old Sweats 4,296 posts Location: Boezinge-Ieper (Ypres), Flanders

It's looking good thank you.

Douglas Haig

Haig’s plan called for a preliminary attack on the Messines Ridge in order to straighten out the Ypres salient on its southern flank and to attract German reserves.
This was executed on June 7, 1917, by the Second Army, under Gen. Sir Herbert Plumer.
A strictly limited attack, made with true siege-war methods and based on preparations begun a year before, it proved an almost complete success within its limits. It owed much to the surprise effect of 19 huge mines that were simultaneously fired.

I'm learning!

Douglas-Haig-portrait.jpg

There was a famous incident in October 1914 at the White Chateau (it was Haig's HQ) and the nearby Hooge Chateau. If you are interested there'll be plenty of detail online.   

Hi Daryl, thanks for posting. FWIW, Haig's White Chateau is different to the one mentioned above - it was on the Menin road out of Ypres, shortly before you reach Hellfire Corner.

Richard

White Chateau.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure I read White ...(Sorry, Daryl ....)  What could be the very first word(s), before Chateau ? Does it begin with Th... ?

(But I must say the image itself looks like White chateau ...)

Aurel

Added one and a half days later ... I agree : it reads "The White Chateau Ypres" indeed, I think. And I think it is the Chateau Mahieu (Palingbeek now), Hollebeke (actually the chateau was Voormezele), not the one near Hell Fire Corner

Edited by Aurel Sercu
Addition

Hi Daryl, thanks for sharing the picture, to me it captures the time and place. From memory of having looked at maps all round Ypres there are a number of "White Chateaux"  The link here shows a picture of one. If anything comes to mind I will let you know. I suppose if you follow the long long trail,(see top of the home page GWForum) you might find where Gunner F.J. Mears  was fighting at various times during the war and work it out from that. Regards, Bob. http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A4858

Edited by Bob Davies

A map here for you Daryl and all. Two Chateaux known as "White Chateaux". Hollebeke Chateaux to the west of the village of Hollebeke and White Chateaux to the north north east of Hollebeke just below the Ypres Comines canal. Hollebeke is top right on the map. Ypres is on the next sheet up to the n n east. Map is courtesy of Nat library of Scotland.  https://maps.nls.uk/view/101464939

Edited by Bob Davies

• 1 year later...