Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naval (?) button and epaulet identification

Hamish Mountain

Does anyone recognise what these buttons and epaulet signify? I am assuming naval but no idea of the issue date. Any information would be very much appreciated.

IMAG0962 (1).jpg

I doubt this is Royal Navy.

I think its a type of Army  Staff Officers(?) Gorget worn on the lapels of his OSD.   Froggie will know,

Thanks, Bryan

They remind me of Germanic Oakleaf insignia.  I don’t think that they are British.  The button is not familiar either.

Is it definitely a shoulder strap/epaulette?  It looks similar to a long collar gorget (tab).

Silver bullion wire on black or dark blue suggests a very senior civil police officer.

A0451A81-2A4C-4B1A-B8D6-568DE211B129.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

I was thinking SS also but that button has me mystified, have never seen that design before.

It does not appear to have age to it.

Wondering if perhaps it is a specific county badge for a Lord Lieutenant's uniform? I have not been able to find anything like it on image search.

Measurements might help determine if a shoulder strap or gorget patch?

Thank you all so much for your brilliant comments on the photograph. Considering the lack of detail, this is impressive.  My sister has measured, what now must be as you suggest, the gorget.' 9cm long gold on black with 3 hooks (as in hook and eye) one on each side of the square end and one on the 'peak' end'. 

The button is stamped Firmin and London, so probably not made for the SS, although at the end of the war my father did sale a yacht back from Kiel as war booty as it was owned by an SS commander. I did try Firmin's but sadly they never replied. Thanks to your indicators I think this is going to be a Commonwealth related issue, Malaya or Nigeria, so I shall start checking some of the family photographs. Thank you again.

18 hours ago, RNCVR said:

I was thinking SS also but that button has me mystified, have never seen that design before.

It does not appear to have age to it.

I did not expect it to be SS, but when I viewed the insignia my first thought was SS  -  the embroidery & style of the oak leaves embroidery (in silver) were similar to that used by SS ranks of Standartenfuhrer & above.  But the shape of the gorget(?) is not correct for SS, & SS did not wear buttons on their collar tabs. The buttons I have no idea, I have never seen this style of button before, But then I dont collect buttons!

I am wondering now about the possibility of Diplomatic Corps insignia? It does not appear to have age or patina, I feel its likely of fairly modern manufacture.

Thanks,

Bryan

I think you are getting very close to solving this Bryan. I mistakenly thought it was early but I now think it may have reference to the Colonial Service. In my last submission I should have described the SS yacht as ' government war reparation' and not 'war booty'. I don't want to give anyone the impression father acquired a private yacht for himself care of the SS. He'd never forgive me! 

Thank you

Hamish

Froggie may be closer to the mark than I - in post 4 - it could well be a senior Police officer insignia, & possibly be European.

Firmans made buttons for various countries so it could be anywhere .

Someone will come along & ID it then we will be saying -- " I should have realized that"!

An interesting dilemma tho!

Thanks, 

Bryan