Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possibly commemorated with wrong surname

hmsk212

Hi,

Whilst researching a postcard in my collection ( I'll research anything that doesn't move ) I have discovered a man commemorated by the CWGC as Lawrence Leggatt but I believe his real name is Lawrence Leggott.

He served as Private 8814 with 72nd Coy Machine Gun Corps and he died of wounds on 1st September 1916 aged 24.

His next of kin is shown as Mrs Mary Louisa Leggatt of Chapel Croft, Haxey, Doncaster.

She and her sons are in the 1911 census , living in Haxey and with the surname Leggott.

The medal index card for 8814 has the name Leggatt crossed out and it is replaced by Leggott as do his medal rolls.

One of his brothers, Wallace, was also killed. He served as Private 21534 with the 1st Btn Lincolnshire Regiment and was killed on 23rd April 1917.

He is commemorated as W Leggott and his next of kin is shown as Mrs Mary Louisa Leggott of Chapel Croft, Haxey, Doncaster.

I believe that both Lawrence & Wallace are commemorated on the Haxey War Memorial as Leggott.

Steve

L Leggott 1.jpg

L Leggott 2.jpg

Edited by hmsk212

Perhaps not helpful, but the overseas death index has him as "Leggart".

Capture.JPG.123164b970219342927d65fad4365388.JPG

Hi 

Many thanks for everyone's input, I will have to work out how to take this forward.

Cheers

Steve

Steve:

I have filed dozens of similar corrections. You submit that to enquiries@cwgc.org not to commemorations@cwgc.org.

Attach copies of all the documents to the e-mail and make the submission. I generally hear back from them in a few days, but then they know me now and react quickly.

The CWGC considers the primary evidence to be the birth certificate. The link to the brother is also key, as that means they have to change at least one of them!

Keep it simple and factual.

Richard

Hi Richard

Thanks for the link and tips, I will get on to it in the next day or two.

Cheers

Steve

Hi,

I have sent off the e-mail with a few attachments including what I think should be the clincher which is the fact that both brothers are named on the same pension document.

Steve

Pension ( Lawrence & Wallace Leggott).jpg

Copied from my fold 3 account

Edited by hmsk212

You should get a reply that says "thank you for your submission, we will forward that to the records department for further review", or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...