Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Both World Wars?

pudsey63

I'm researching a man named Albert James Dowse who died on 17/6/1940 in the sinking of the SS Lancastria. Born 1900 in Portsmouth, and served in the 159 Railway Construction Company RE in WW2, I've been trying to follow up a hunch that he also served in WW1. There is a man that might fit, but wondering if there is any way of finding out for sure. TIA.

Thank you David. That is very helpful. I'm just dipping my toes into WW2 and have a lot to learn.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, pudsey63 said:

Thank you David. That is very helpful. I'm just dipping my toes into WW2 and have a lot to learn.

Good luck, I know practically nothing about that one, and probably even less about ww1....

There is a marriage in Portsmouth in 1918 which would be worth exploring further. If you apply for a copy of the marriage cert. his occupation should be listed.

Marriages Dec 1918   (>99%)
DOWSE  Albert J  Mary A Heylor  Portsmouth  2b 1233  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

That looks very promising, fits in with what I’ve got so far. 

A family tree on Ancestry by Hannah Dade has A J Dowse in WW1 RE 1770, 518950, 314260 same birth & death records and WW2 1854359 RE 159 Railway Const Coy mentions SS Lancastria also

1 hour ago, EDWARD1 said:

A family tree on Ancestry by Hannah Dade has A J Dowse in WW1 RE 1770, 518950, 314260 same birth & death records and WW2 1854359 RE 159 Railway Const Coy mentions SS Lancastria also

That’s him! Thank you so much; I’m not sure how I missed that tree on Ancestry but you’ve saved me a lot of time and effort.

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

There's something very poignant about survivors of the Great War succumbing in the second.

There certainly is, and the names get read out every year but the stories get lost.