Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Expert Opinion Required

RussT

• Admin

Can any medal experts out there please provide their view on the authenticity as to the naming on the Victory Medal shown in the images posted in the thread linked below. There is a discussion on going trying to reconcile an apparent anomaly

Thanks for your help in advance

Regards

Russ

Dear Russ,

I collect to "Officers Only", but nevertheless the Victory naming looks spurious to me. Sort of 'Unofficial' (I doubt if officialdom would have impressed '3RD' in that way).

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi

I can honestly say that I have never seen a medal to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers named in the manner of the one shown on the other thread. They do not normally have a Battalion Number and they are normally stamped R. Dub. Fus. looks like a self award.

Steve

Edited by hmsk212

• Admin

Thanks Chaps - that's the conclusion we were coming to for other reasons but I didn't want to pre-judge it.

Regards

Russ

Spurious is a good word - eg there are a couple of different ways Private tends to be rendered on the BWM or VM in particular and that doesn't match either:

WW1 The British 1914 Mons Star Medal WWI

Lost Medals Australia: British War Medal and Victory Medal ...

Edited by Andrew Upton

25 minutes ago, hmsk212 said:

They do not normally have a Battalion Number and they are normally stamped R. Dub. Fus. looks like a self award.

royal-dublin-fusiliers-1914-15-trio_360_f097a48ef00295120576839165ecc519.jpg.9221d6a6d331a3f506bf74706115f551.jpg

Right thank you all very much ,I bought it from online Medal Dealer so just assumed it would be fine . Did start to worry a bit that it might not be right when I could not find any records for him. But just need to put it down to an expensive lesson learned.Thanks once again for all your help and advice.

Colin.

Colin, just in case this is of interest:

image.png.39961ba7b029c2eb656eac66e4d8c6e9.png

18 January 1918 - Jedburgh Gazette - Jedburgh, Roxburgh

from Find My Past

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1262/30850_A000805-01888?pid=3622464&backurl=https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv%3D1%26dbid%3D1262%26h%3D3622464%26tid%3D%26pid%3D%26usePUB%3Dtrue%26_phsrc%3DfXQ4402%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=fXQ4402&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true

wondering if he got a transfer as his battalion were decimated and had them renamed with his later regiment

according to the SWB card, he didnt serve overseas, so probably knocks that idea on the head

Edited by chaz

Hi Chaz ,thank you for that. I was told yesterday that number belonged to the man you have just posted. Looks like I have bought a Self award. Thank you once again.

Colin.

Just one caveat. I have seen WW1 medals issued in the 1960s which although officially named were all to pot in that the person who impressed them did not know the protocol used in the 1920s. It is quite possible, if reissued late, for there to be variations.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge