Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Helga J. Ophaug, US Army Nurse - how did she die?

Jim Strawbridge

Helga J. Orphaug, US Army Nurse (Red Cross) died on the 1st July 1918 at Fort Sheridan, Illinois, U.S.A., aged 37. Originally from Norway she emigrated in 1906. I have found her in a census for 1910 as a domestic servant in Chicago. I have found a report that she died in an accident (rather than the usual Spanish 'flu) but have been unable to find out how.  Can anyone help me with this one?

5 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

Jim

Had a look on FMP in US newspapers but no joy I'm afraid

David

Thank you, David.

I've found her in Ancestry on a crew list for Massachusetts, probably with a Syver Ophaug, but not having a subscription can't follow up, I'm afraid (it was a simple google).

She seems to have been Norwegian, Helga Josefine Olsdatter Ophaug (born 4 April 1886, father Ole Andreassen Ophaug) as per this list: https://www.innstrandslekt.no/getperson.php?personID=I654&tree=slektstre1

My Norwegian is not good but I think I can make out from the Notes row that she went to America and was trained/educated as a nurse. She died in 1918 when she was on the way to the battle-front in Europe. Just trying to see what happened because I am stuck on one word.

Edit: I think "havnet i en togulykke" means that she was involved in a collision.

Edited by seaJane

She received her Nursing Certificate following examination, after three years at The Norwegian Tabitha Hospital, Chicago, in 1916.

Aled

32 minutes ago, Carmania said:

She received her Nursing Certificate following examination, after three years at The Norwegian Tabitha Hospital, Chicago, in 1916.

Aled

1.  Certificates Issued by Examination, Year Ended 30 September 1916:

Helga-56.jpg.b431acb2b6e5f678893918b3d155681f.jpg

2.  Graduate Nurses Register in Illinois to 30 September 1916:

Helga-110.jpg.6935431311d315caec98779374adf34f.jpg

AnnualReportBoardofNurseExaminersoftheStateofIllinois_10661030 (1) (1).pdf

JP

Thanks to JP for the links. I've had a look and whilst the papers have got her first name totally wrong they have made a better stab at her surname, Opauch instead of Ophaug. Think that JP has cracked it.

Aled

The initial link was mine in post #6, I think? A Norwegian has informed me that "togulykke" is definitely a train accident.

43 minutes ago, seaJane said:

The initial link was mine in post #6, I think?

I personally was referring to the links to the newspapers provided by helpjpl.

Aled

Ah, ok, understood.

16 hours ago, seaJane said:

Edit: I think "havnet i en togulykke" means that she was involved in a collision.

Jane, a tip that I found some while ago for translation is that if you just enter the languages (ie. French to English" into Google the first entry will be two boxes, side by side. You just type or copy paste the foreign wording and the second box pops up with the translation. I did "Norwegian to English" and copy pasted your phrase and up came "ended up in a train accident". Good tip for the future if you didn't already know it. I see that helpjpl (above) has used it.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Thank you all for your contributions. What a wonderful resource this website is. I am grateful to you all. She was out for a stroll when she was hit by a train. This may be a kind way of saying that she committed suicide finding it difficult to face war-time France where she was being placed. We shall never know.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Thanks for the tip, Jim. I do use Google translate, but I like some back-up, and another site simply said "collision", so I thought I'd better go to the horse's (or the Norse's) mouth, as it were.