Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for information on an Edward vii era sword

I'm looking to get some information about this sword, as far as I know it's an Edward VII era officers sword,either artillery or infantry

Serial number 16442

There's a star on one side and at one point there was some writing on the other side 

IMG_20200416_223639.jpg

IMG_20200416_223657.jpg

Btwig14,

Welcome to the forum.

Who is the maker of the sword?

If it is Wilkinson you can provide the serial number to them, and for a fee, they can tell you who originally bought the sword.

WILK bought the R. Mole & Co (sword maker) after the GW and also has their records.

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
typo

3 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Btwig14,

Welcome to the forum.

Who is the maker of the sword?

If it is Wilkinson you can provide the serial number to them, and for a fee, they can tell you who originally bought the sword.

WILK bought the R. Mole & Co (sword maker) after the GW and also has their records.

Regards,

JMB

I have no idea who made it, it looks as though the maker stamp has worn off over the years

Hi , you have an 1821 pattern Artillery officers sword.The pattern is still current.

There should be a Royal cypher on the blade .

kind regards 

Richard

72DC5C36-1AC3-479B-B7CE-F9DDB5519E8B.png

Richard,

I know that WILK used the star of David on their swords, but did other makers also use it??

Regards,

JMB

…… and unusually it has been seriously sharpened in a pretty rough manner.  The Star of David is the proof mark.

If it was a Wilkinson this serial number would indicate it was manufactured in the late 1860's and the Royal Cypher on RJGDEE's chart you are looking for would be "V.R." That said, I suspect it is not a Wilkinson as it lacks the detail (owner's initials, unit badges) that their price tag justified.

…… could this simply be an issued sword?

Edited by TullochArd

Usually the maker or retailer marked the opposite side  of the Ricasso ( to the Star of David and Proof disc) With their ‘Brand’(All Officers purchased their own kit including weapons)

Swords for Sargeants and NCO s were the property of the WD/Army and were marked accordingly.

I agree the sharpening looks to have been done post service, no regimental armourer would have destroyed the edge of an Officers Sword to anywhere near that degree

The Star of David was copied by most Makers as was the idea of a brass proof disc ( originally attributed to Wilkinson ) The Proof disc was a selling point an supposedly graded the quality of the blade. There were far more Outfitters/Retailers than sword makers ,so the proof disc can distinguish who actually produced the sword .Many swords bear a number to the spine of the blade.

In this example a P1912 Cavalry Officers Sword Retailed by Hamburger & Rodgers was made by Robert Mole & Sons of Birmingham. (Mole prefixed their numbers with the letter M)44BDF630-7EE2-481E-B640-973194F0B2F9.jpeg.6b8c405d1b1596982ccd1562d4f2e3ad.jpeg

6D04E948-395E-489E-ACEF-5741F65DB0D9.jpeg

91F67A46-B740-453E-A5CC-CA25793DE7FC.jpeg

06590EAD-29D9-4DD5-8093-6D064594ADC0.jpeg

Edited by RGJDEE

Using British Military Swords 1786-1912 it looks like an Edward Thurkle London. The unclear image at the bottom is similar to the Thurkle three leaf image at the bottom.

My other thought was Meyer and Mortimer, London, c.1870. 

Hope that is helpful.

George

appreciate  you are new to the forum but you need to keep within the rules - ie ww1 related not before or after -  or you may see your thread locked or deleted

do you have anything to link it to ww1?

1 hour ago, Coldstreamer said:

appreciate  you are new to the forum but you need to keep within the rules - ie ww1 related not before or after -  or you may see your thread locked or deleted

do you have anything to link it to ww1?

As per post #4, this is a Pattern 1821 Artillery Officer sword which is still the current pattern.

If it was correct in 1821 and correct in 2020, then it was probably correct for the GW period.

Regards,

JMB

I thought that the checkered back strap indicated ASC/RASC

All the best,

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/04/2020 at 01:15, RGJDEE said:

... a brass proof disc ...

Thankee kindly sir! I always wondered what that thing was!