Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The John Wylie Collection (new thread)

Skipman

58 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Officer's vehicle. Wylie on left with pipe. Not sure  but probably Bedford, April 1915.

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 37.jpg

The car is a 12 h.p. Humber, fitted with Riley detachable wire wheels.

Mike.

Officers. Pre-War Camp. The officer in the centre (not sure of rank at this time) is James McRosty, of Crieff (a solicitor before the war), but served with the 1/6th Battalion, Black Watch, throughout the Great War, being twice wounded, 1916 and 1918. At some point promoted Captain/Adjutant and served with the 1st Battalion after the war.

Back left Lt R H Gray, back second from left Lt Craig? Middle row far left (next to McRosty) Lt D B Calder

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 42.jpg

I have found the reverse image of some of these scans and will add them over time to the original image. For example, if you look at post #2 have added the reverse which locates and dates the image accurately.

Mike

On 16/04/2020 at 23:14, Skipman said:

Moncrieffe and Macdowell, Bedford,  April 1915. I had a quick look on google earth and found this location at  Lansdowne Road Bedford, near the station and wondered if this might be where the photo was taken. Coordinates  52° 8'25.12"N  0°28'29.73"W What do you reckon?

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 13.jpg

John Wylie Forum post 13b.PNG

Mike, a fantastic set of images and some good detective work on your part. You may be interested to learn that the buildings in the background of this photo form what used to be known as Albert Terrace (the name used to be painted on the ornately-framed pediment on the central facade) and the location of a notorious episode involving men of the 4th Camerons who were billeted there in Oct 1914. During a heated argument, apparently fuelled by drink, Pte Arthur Charker received a stab wound from a bayonet wielded by Pte John Fraser and died a few days later. Charker is buried in Foster Hill Road Cemetery, Bedford. The original report from the Bedfordshire Times can be read here:

http://bedshomefront.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-bayonet-tragedy.html

The 4th Camerons left Bedford for France in February 1915. The soldiers lined up in front of Albert Terrace with their backs to the camera and the chaps leaning out of the window are most likely from the 164 (North Lancashire) Brigade which arrived in Bedford in April 1915 - along with the 1/6 & 1/7 Black Watch - to reinforce the Highland Division prior to its departure for France in May.

Edited by rgalley

On 17/04/2020 at 20:04, Skipman said:

John Wylie Bedford April 1915. Not sure of rank here Major?

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 21.jpg

Mike, this image was captured at the eastern end of Lansdowne Road, about 100 metres from the junction with Union St. where Moncrieffe and Macdowell were photographed with Albert Terrace in the background. The locations of both photos are shown on the attached map:

Wylie locations Bedford.png

Excellent rgalley, thanks very much that's really interesting. I have more from their time at Bedford and will post soon.

Mike

On 20/04/2020 at 19:41, Skipman said:

"Bedford"  (April 1915) Think that's Lieutenant R G A Dickson with the pipe and book, John Wylie second officer from the right (also with pipe)

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 34.jpg

Mike,

This photo was taken at the middle / western end of Warwick Avenue. This road runs parallel to Lansdowne Road. The Google street map images were taken in the summer and as a result many of the house fronts are obscured by the foliage of the trees lining the Avenue, which makes it difficult to get a precise fix on where the image was captured. Once the current 'lockdown' is eased, I'll pay a visit to try to pinpoint the exact spot. The open area of ground on the opposite side of the road to where the men are standing was owned by the Bedford Physical Training College whose staff and students - led by the College's founder Miss Margaret Stansfeld - did much for the troops billeted in and around the town. From late 1914 - May 1915, the Gordon Brigade's main billeting district was centred on the Lansdowne Road area. In April 1915, the additional influx of 2 battalions (1/6 & 1/7) of Black Watch and the 164 (North Lancashire) Brigade to reinforce the Highland Division prior to its departure for France in May meant that the boundaries of the original billeting districts became blurred.

wylie locations Bedford 2.png

35 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Excellent rgalley, thanks very much that's really interesting. I have more from their time at Bedford and will post soon.

Mike

Great. Thanks Mike, I look forward to seeing them.

Richard

18 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Bedford April 1915 location unknown.

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 45.jpg

Mike,

Warwick Avenue, just a few doors down (heading east) from where "Bedford" was taken. Distinctive architectural features single these houses out as the precise location, although at some point the fancy brick/ stonework has succumbed to a layer of masonry paint! The attached are the best I can offer using Google street view.

Richard

warwick avenue 1.png

warwick avenue 2.png

Mike,

I've had another look at the "Bedford" photo of Wylie and his fellow officers in Warwick Avenue and have pinpointed the location, allowing for the difference in angles etc.. Hope the attached are of interest.

Richard

warwick avenue 3a.png

Warwick Ave 1.png

1 hour ago, Skipman said:

Officers 1/6th Black Watch April 1915

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 46.jpg

Mike,

I think this was taken in the grounds of what was then Bedfordshire Yeomanry's HQ in Ashburnham Road, Bedford. When I was growing up this was the local TA barracks, demolished in the late 80s to make way for purpose built flats. I think the building in the background might be Bishopstone House (the billet for Glen Miller's band in 1944) which was demolished only about 15 years ago, or so. Some of the old military buildings remain just off Ashburnham Road with the old drill hall now serving as the Sri Guru Ravidass Sabha and Community Centre.

Richard

On 21/04/2020 at 21:26, Skipman said:

Officer's vehicle. Wylie on left with pipe. Not sure  but probably Bedford, April 1915.

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 37.jpg

Mike, I'm pretty sure that this isn't Bedford, much as I'd like it to be! It's part of the excellent series of images that are said to have been taken at pre-war camp at Monzie. The background (field boundary and trees) is the same. Also the foliage on the trees and quality of light suggest this was taken in the summer months. The Black Watch were only in Bedford for a few weeks in April 1915 and as we see from the image "Bedford" - and the others known to have been taken in Bedford - the trees were not in leaf at that time.

Very best, Richard

Edited by rgalley

1 minute ago, rgalley said:

Mike, I'm pretty sure that this isn't Bedford, much as I'd like it to be! It's part of the excellent series of images that are said to have been taken at pre-war camp at Monzie. The background (field boundary and trees) is the same. Also the foliage on the trees and quality of light suggest this was taken in the summer months. The Black Watch were only in Bedford for a few weeks in April 1915 and as we see from the image "Bedford" the trees were not in full leaf at that time.

Very best, Richard

Thanks Richard. Will have another look at that and see if can find any more on it. What you say makes complete sense and don't be worried about correcting anything; that's exactly what we want. Many thanks for your excellent input.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Monzie 1914

If you zoom in, it's interesting to see the various expressions on the faces, some more serious than others.

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 49.jpg