Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Skipman

The John Wylie Collection (new thread)

Skipman

I closed the old thread as the photographs no longer were available on the original image hosting site.

The grandson of Lt-Col John Wylie, 1/6th Black Watch, has very kindly shared his private collection. I will add these excellent and interesting photographs over the next weeks and months and hope you enjoy them. Major John Wylie from Perth was in command of the Aberfeldy Company 6th Black Watch, then I believe commanded "A" Company 1/6th Black Watch and commanded the 1/6th Black Watch battalion from 1/10/1916- 26/10/1916 and 4/12/1916-1/1/1917 when (reason unknown, possibly age?) was from this date to command the Black Watch at Ripon.

The man himself John Wylie. Not sure when this taken or rank at the time.

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 1.jpg

Skipman

The Adjutant giving officers instructions. Taken at Carlingnose, North Queensferry, Inverkeithing. 27/3/1913 John Wylie's head can be seen over the left shoulder of the adjutant.

Edit 14:38 1/5/2010 Added reverse of card which dates this to 27/3/1913

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 2.jpg

John Wylie Forum post 2b.PNG

Edited by Skipman
Added reverse of card

Skipman

Pre-War Camp  Black Watch Sports Day year unknown

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 3.jpg

Skipman

Not posting these in any particular order.

Coronation Detachment 6th Black Watch June 1911

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 4.jpg

Skipman

Lieutenants R H Gray and David B Calder at a pre-war camp.( Lieutenant D B Calder appointed Brigade machine-gun officer from 22/6/1915) On the 22nd of August, 1914, "Calder & party returned from General "Jimmy" Grierson's funeral"

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 5.jpg

Skipman

Map reading at Laventie, July, 1915. Durie, Wylie and Alexander.

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 6.jpg

Skipman

Stewart, Halley, Alexander, Marshall, Craig, Lynn, at Albert, August, 1915

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 7.jpg

Skipman

Sir Robert Moncrieffe's farewell at Vaux-en-Amiénois, 26/121915.

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 8.jpg

John Wylie Forum post 8b.PNG

Skipman

Exam at Monzie. (Monzie near Crieff, Perthshire)  Black Watch at camp there August 1912, and July 1914

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 9.jpg

Skipman

Church Parade. Not sure where or when these taken, probably pre-war camp. Pretty sure that is John Wylie at the piano which makes sense as "In civil life, Lieutenant-Colonel Wylie is manager in Perth for Messrs Paterson & Sons, music sellers."

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 10a.jpg

John Wylie Forum post 10b.jpg

John Wylie Forum post 10c.jpg

Skipman

On Parade Monzie, near Crieff, 1912

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 11.jpg

Skipman

Farewell Luncheon Captain A B Baillie Hamilton Seaforth Highlanders on his vacating the Adjutancy of the 6th Battalion The Black Watch Station Hotel Perth 27th February, 1914

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 12a.PNG

John Wylie Forum post 12b.PNG

John Wylie Forum post 12c.PNG

John Wylie Forum post 12d.PNG

Skipman

Moncrieffe and Macdowell, Bedford,  April 1915. I had a quick look on google earth and found this location at  Lansdowne Road Bedford, near the station and wondered if this might be where the photo was taken. Coordinates  52° 8'25.12"N  0°28'29.73"W What do you reckon?

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 13.jpg

John Wylie Forum post 13b.PNG

MikeyH

Looks like a good match to me.

Mike.

Skipman
15 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

Looks like a good match to me.

Mike.

Thanks MikeyH It was a pure hunch that it might be taken near the station and I guess got lucky.

Mike

Skipman

"B" Company, 1/6th Black Watch, at Buire, June, 1915.

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 14.jpg

Skipman

Dean, Newel, Fraser, Majury and Willis at Festubert, June, 1915.

The men in this photograph are Irishmen, of No1 platoon, A Company. Two of them were killed on a night patrol on the 10th of June, 1915. L/Cpl 1765 Walter Newel  and L/Cpl 2551 

James Denning Willis, both Belfast

"Interesting particulars of an attack on the part of the 6th Black Watch patrol are furnished by Major John Wyllie, Perth, Commanding the Perthshire Regiment in France in the temporary absence of col Sir R D Moncrieffe, Bart., who will return to the front early next month. Major Wyllie's details are supplied to the father of Lance-Corporals W Newal, who was severely wounded in the attack, and passed away before he could be brought down to the dressing-station. On the night in question Lance-Corporals Newal was in sole charge of a patrol sent out to gain information about the movements of the enemy. His patrol, says the letter, was ambushed by a party of about a dozen Germans, and the two foremost were hit. The remining two, Jenkins and Majury-continued to fire on the enemy, and eventually crawled back for help. Lance-Corporals Fraser, your boys particular chum, immediately gt together a party of volunteers, including Lance-Corporals Crone, Private Deane, Piper MacDonald, and, guided by Majury, went out in search of their comrades. They again encountered a hostile patrol, which they dispersed with rapid fire, and although they were under machine-gun fire for about half an hour, they succeeded in locating their two friends-no easy matter among the long corn and barbed wire-and had them carried in to our lines, a very commendable piece of work. The Doctor informs me that both were so badly hit that they must have been unconscious from the first, and it is some little consolation to you to know that your son at least was spared suffering. Both were brought down to the dressing station about midnight, and your son was buried during the night by his comrades beside the graves of some other soldiers. I read a short service myself at the graveside, and the spot is being carefully marked with a cross. I can scarcely tell you how keenly this loss is felt both by officers and men who knew your son. He was always keen on scouting, and has done much good service since coming out here that he was marked by our late CO, Sit Robert Moncrieffe, and by our Adjutant with a view to his rapid promotion. Please accept this expression of the sincerest sympathy of officers and men. Lance-Corporals Newel belonged to Belfast, but was for some time stationed in the Tayport district, and was well known in Tayport and Wormit, where he had gained many friends."

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results?lastName=Newel&serviceNumber=1765&war=1

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results?lastName=Willis&serviceNumber=2551&war=1

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 15.jpg

Skipman

Durie, McMichael and Wylie, Upper Donnet (Donnets Post) November, 1915. (Not sure who McMichael is)

Edited 21.25 18/4/2010 Captain J A Durie on the left, was the Adjutant at this time Captain McMichael was 7th Gordon Highlanders.

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 16.jpg

Edited by Skipman

Terry_Reeves

Thanks for posting Mike.

TR

Skipman
1 hour ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Thanks for posting Mike.

TR

Thanks Terry. There is much much more and will add when get time. It's a marvelous collection.

Mike

Skipman

There are John Wylie's own personal diaries, little notebooks crammed with useful bits of information, very useful for my own research. For example (excuse my fingers)

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 17.PNG

Skipman

Officers 6th Black Watch. Carlingnose, 1913. (North Queensferry)

John Wylie seated front second from left.

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 18.jpg

Skipman

Officers 6th Black Watch. Carlingnose, 1913. (North Queensferry)

John Wylie seated front second  extreme left with dog.

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 19.jpg

Skipman

John Wylie's personal trench map Authuille Sector. Not sure of the date of this, possibly September 1915.

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 20.jpg

Skipman

John Wylie Bedford April 1915. Not sure of rank here Major?

Mike

John Wylie Forum post 21.jpg