Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British WW1 Steel Helmet

OLD ROBIN HOOD

Greetings from the depths of the Royal Forest of Sherwood.

I have owned this helmet for very many years, I think that bought it in 1967 but I do remember that it cost me 5/-

from a Nottingham junk shop of which at that time there were many. It is one of those pieces that I have never parted with.

As can be seen the paintwork is a very strange shade of green which has obviously been on it for many years.. I don't know

what the divisional markings are so can anyone can help with that. The stampings on the inside of the rim appear to be an 'S' or '5'

and the number ' 68' .

Any assistance gratefully received

Old Robin Hood.

DSC01888.JPG.63c8c41aeeb5bf6aa9a414da7c1806f9.JPGDSC01889.JPG.923a1eca1b5bb334c222bca93a71dd36.JPG

DSC01890.thumb.JPG.89d140e471d9c3dd4f1934b325cb58f4.JPGDSC01891.JPG.e4ee44c76554cf920714b9ab15bf6d3d.JPG

A fine example of a very early rimless Brodie in my opinion. Shame the liner has gone. It was painted in what they referred to as Apple Green - the first choice of colour for them. I suspect that there will also be a very faint F and the stamping will read FS - the number looks like 58 to me. FS for Firth Sheffield.

David

Greetings David

Many thanks for the information. Much appreciated , and I now agree having looked closer .The number is 58.

Robin

A nice looking helmet with most of its original paint. With regard to the Unit markings I've had a look through the excellent  'WW.1 British Battle Insignia' book but cant find anyhing that looks identical. There are a couple of regiments that use the red over blue boxes but the sizing is not the same. The 19th Royal Welsh Fusiliers is a longer rectangle. The 7th Glos. is a 2" square and the 2/4 London Regt.( City of London Fusiliers) is a very long stretched rectangle. There is nothing anywhere in the book that looks like the four white corners.

Hopefully someone else may be able to come up with something.