Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death Penny + ?

TBee

Hi All, Sorry if this has already been asked, i have had a search but do not seem to find an answer.

In my family, i have two military members that were kia. Both received a death penny.

My question is, If a person was kia would there family receive any other campaign medals.

Thanks.

If they were kia in a theatre of war, they should also have been entitled to at least the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, although at least one of these may have had a minimum 28 days requirement.

Ron

7 minutes ago, TBee said:

Hi All, Sorry if this has already been asked, i have had a search but do not seem to find an answer.

In my family, i have two military members that were kia. Both received a death penny.

My question is, If a person was kia would there family receive any other campaign medals.

Thanks.

Any medals they qualified for would be automatically  sent out to the NoK (or applied for in the case of officers).

Craig

22 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Any medals they qualified for would be automatically  sent out to the NoK

Not the case for naval personnel. All Admiralty medals had to be applied for, even for casualties.

2 hours ago, TBee said:

Thanks.

Hi TBee,

If you are able to supply their full names and any other details which you have, then it may be possible that someone can check the medals rolls for you.

I say this because sometimes medals were issued to NOK but returned for various reasons and never reissued nor claimed..

Hope this helps,  Robert

Hi TBee,

If the MIC's are annotated as medals" Returned" and not sent out again, as Robert has posted above, then the NofKin can apply to have them reissued BUT you have to provide the proof. 

Give us the details and you will get the answer pretty quick.... 

Regards Barry

Ok all. Many thanks, I might already have some medal details, but unable to find details at moment. I do have much of there military history plus  war diaries etc.

But I will throw these to you and perhaps you can shed some light on there awards please.

Private. ROBERT BUSH 14165, MGC.

Private. I E FINCHAM 29231, 9th Bn., Norfolk Regiment.
Private. M. HOWE 474059, 54th Bn., Canadian Infantry. 

Thanks.

The medal roll index cards for Bush and Fincham do not have any notation indicating return of medals so I would expect they were issued and received. I've no idea where to look for Canadian service medals. Did they operate the same system for medals as in the UK?

The medal details for Bush and Fincham, which you probably have, show they received the pair so no military service overseas before 1/1/16. The only other thing to note is that Bush served with the East Yorks Regt as well as MGC.

Simon

Hi TBee,

As Martin has posted above, both medals B and V are crossed through in blue indicating medals were sent out.

Regards Barry

Thank you all. Very interesting and helpful. Didn't know the online service history existed, again very helpful as we were unsure of the families home address in UK.

The only part that is not mentioned on the link by Martin below. The letter D in red, which i can only think is for the Death Penny, or perhaps not ?

My intention is to obtain medal duplicates of all known family members from WWI, with a small part of history, place it in a large frame to be hung on the wall as a personal memorial..

Thank you.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/Pages/read-medal-card.aspx

One could maybe confirm that by looking at the records of other Canadians who died (names from CWGC), and also of some who survived (by just entering random names into the archives -most will have survived).

Martin

TBee,

The entry on page 13 shows that his medals, Memorial plaque and scroll were sent to his father in 1922. 

All the best,

Gary