Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1906 Enfield Sht Le rear site identify

ATLWW1

I have a 1906 Lee Enfield Sht Le No 1 Mk***. The volley sites were left on, the single round cut off swtich, the charger on the bolt, and the rear site. Although the site would have been modified for the new Mk VII ammo. The site has the original serial number....but looks altered...and has a proof to say it was i believe. However the windage gauge was left on....though the site blade is not what i am used to. Nor is the slide adjustment. Curious if anyone knows about this site?

20200316_131545.jpg

20200316_131452.jpg

20200316_131510.jpg

20200316_131548.jpg

20200316_131418.jpg

20200215_204528.jpg

It's the original style sight fitted to the Sht LE MkI  with bone inserts, beyond that what is it that you want to know?

Modification for the MkVII round would have consisted of modifying the angle of the base ramp. As the barrel is stamped HV (High Velocity) that does indicate that it has been modified for the MkVII round.

Excellent example of the type, paired with a nice P1907 and wirecutter  -- does the rifle carry a new serial number on the knox form quite a lot of the rifles surviving in this format were sold on to the Irish Free State in the inter war period and had new serial numbers overstamped.

Chris

4thGordons - thank you so much sir for your kind response. Yes the rifle was an Irish Export for sure with struck though serial.The Wilkinson bayonet is marked 2nd Essex and was a purchase and addition by me just for display as its quite a pricey piece on its own. The Wire cutter is original and the same; a purchase and add for display. Here in the states Enfields are not rare but they are almost always a complete restore (sanded, metal parts reworked etc) - and many mismatched parts. They also come in the "sporterized" version better knows as a Bubba Deer Rifle. I was happy to stumble on an early Enfield that retailed all its character and the proofs told its story. 2 hour drive to grab this one. I have put about 50 rounds of lighter load 303 through it and it shoots like a dream.

Again a sincere thank you on the site information.

You are welcome! It's a very nice example I have a couple of these but none of them are as complete/original as yours: either having replacement MkIII fore-ends or MkIII rear handguard and sights.

This one is close but without the original rear handguard with integral sight protector wings (I have actually found one since these pics were taken)I am also unsure if the foresight protector here (unnumbered) is original --although it is of the correct type it is probably a replacement

mk1.jpg.e8c67d788d7a49bcd28cabee28cdac98.jpg

MK1leftaction.jpg.73f444e2f5923ac69422f0634f19f507.jpg

mk1foresight.jpg.9543052cb95cf72c5b8857e473fc8802.jpgmk1markings.jpg.a50db4adcfb6929bd705e0515a6ddede.jpg

mk1Rearsight.jpg.ab4faa941fc49b729f20f4e8e2ed11de.jpg

Chris

2 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

You are welcome! It's a very nice example I have a couple of these but none of them are as complete/original as yours: either having replacement MkIII fore-ends or MkIII rear handguard and sights.

This one is close but without the original rear handguard with integral sight protector wings (I have actually found one since these pics were taken)I am also unsure if the foresight protector here (unnumbered) is original --although it is of the correct type it is probably a replacement

mk1.jpg.e8c67d788d7a49bcd28cabee28cdac98.jpg

MK1leftaction.jpg.73f444e2f5923ac69422f0634f19f507.jpg

mk1foresight.jpg.9543052cb95cf72c5b8857e473fc8802.jpgmk1markings.jpg.a50db4adcfb6929bd705e0515a6ddede.jpg

mk1Rearsight.jpg.ab4faa941fc49b729f20f4e8e2ed11de.jpg

Chris

Beautiful gun all the way around. Great view of the Rear Site as well for me to see.

I wish I had the opportunity to find these quality Enfields on a more regular basis.

5 hours ago, ATLWW1 said:

4thGordons - thank you so much sir for your kind response. Yes the rifle was an Irish Export for sure with struck though serial.The Wilkinson bayonet is marked 2nd Essex and was a purchase and addition by me just for display as its quite a pricey piece on its own. The Wire cutter is original and the same; a purchase and add for display. Here in the states Enfields are not rare but they are almost always a complete restore (sanded, metal parts reworked etc) - and many mismatched parts. They also come in the "sporterized" version better knows as a Bubba Deer Rifle. I was happy to stumble on an early Enfield that retailed all its character and the proofs told its story. 2 hour drive to grab this one. I have put about 50 rounds of lighter load 303 through it and it shoots like a dream.

Again a sincere thank you on the site information.

Really good to here it's still a shooter, and shoots well.

Enjoy. Thanks for posting, really good images.

Gary.