Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reg Marking on 71 Mauser Carbine

ATLWW1

New owner of this nifty 71 11mm Mauser Carbine made 1884. Try to get the regiment of the markings. I know somw were pressed into WW1.

Guards Kurassier 3rd company 84th weapon?

Any help much appreciated.

20200415_192907.jpg

20200415_192927.jpg

I do not have my notes with me,but those M.71Kar. Are fun to shoot. One of mine is a “Guard ... something” will have to look it up. I am surprised by the late date of 1884. Who was the maker?

If you want to keep as just a shooter, that’s good, for collector, you should take off the side sling swivel, ( commercial) and the front one, the front had a sling ring there. But these Karbines can get pricey so I would hold onto it. Hope the bore is good

I think there were 5 makers for the Karbine

11 hours ago, ATLWW1 said:

... Guards Kurassier 3rd company 84th weapon?

20200415_192907.jpg

Sounds about right! Except 'Eskadron' for squadron rather than company.

Nice looking piece! All matching parts? Could be seeing how the butt plate ends with '17' suggesting any refurbishmneet did not get that far...

Trajan

This is great news - Thanks trajan - Yes every part is 100% complete match down to the screws with a very good bore. The only part "out of place" is the side butt plate swivel - not sure why that would have been put on at some point - But I consider it part of the life of the gun so it will stay - I would rather it be there than try to fill screw holes and match color, etc. This is the first 71 Carbine I have seen in person here in the states. I am a sucker for any carbine and a true Regimentally marked Imperial German carbine was a great find for me.

8 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

I do not have my notes with me,but those M.71Kar. Are fun to shoot. One of mine is a “Guard ... something” will have to look it up. I am surprised by the late date of 1884. Who was the maker?

If you want to keep as just a shooter, that’s good, for collector, you should take off the side sling swivel, ( commercial) and the front one, the front had a sling ring there. But these Karbines can get pricey so I would hold onto it. Hope the bore is good

I think there were 5 makers for the Karbine

Oh sorry the Make is the Spandau Arsenal.

I do plan to load for it and shoot a few times a year - the bore is minty - the gun is in exceptionally good shape and 100% numbers match down to the screws. I Really have no idea why someone would have put a sling swivel on the butt stock. I'm not going to remove and fill screw holes so I will consider it part of the life of the gun. Since this is a black powder single shot carbine - I just don't know what use a butt plate swivel would have - unless it was put into service later and someone felt that was more useful. Its actually a very beefy, and older swivel and not a cheap after market piece. I may just tone down the brightness some if anything.

Any tips on "Where to get cheap brass" etc? - looks like the brass is the hard part - Bullets, Dies, etc are plentiful and cheap. Brass - not so much....available but about $2 per round. 

ATLWWI,

Brass: A good place to start would be one of the sub-forums on

www.gunboards.com

Regards,

JMB

I have all the rifles/ carbines but sadly, have not shot any of they in years, have a little ammo. 
If I were you, I would try make, buy from someone, get made ammo in BLACK POWER, it is dirtier, but the blue cloud and low pitch “ boom”  is a fun experience. A lot of people here in the states use that damn Pyrodex, smells like crap

hope you enjoy your new treasure. 
If you do, bring a friend and post some pic’s from the range!

• 1 month later...

Hey Julian

this Kar.71 of ARLWW1 marked G. K

I just got another Kar.71, mine is by Spandau

mine is G.K.   89

You say Guards Kurassier, seller of mine say GuardsKorps, same units, renamed?

F17CF88E-EF11-428E-9D1D-CDD907E16C36.jpeg

1490D3D1-5EA0-4B8F-8D04-983AD607FB84.png

CFEB69B4-9853-4314-BC98-84A52C3BF4EB.jpeg

637D20C9-9A4F-485E-9FA2-69729D4ED21F.jpeg

D48B1725-F9D4-45EB-AD35-FA52DBA12714.jpeg

Looks very nice!

The marking system goes from biggest unit to smallest, so usually unit, company/squadron weapon. When it goes direct from unit to a number, that is believed to be a weapon assigned to the unit staff. The 1877 regulations - which would apply here - do not have anything suggesting this could be 'Garde Korps' for any of the Garde cavalry units, so this looks to be Garde Kurassier (stab) weapon 90.

Julian

You know far more than me Julian, but did this GuardKorps have companies  to go from Korea to company to Waffen? I never heard of this GuardKorps, sounds interesting and unique 

What exactly was the Guards Kurassier?

would this be a scarce unit, seems to be to me

( hope so)

There was a Regiment der Gardes du Corps which was an elite cavalry unit, the Kaiser's bodyguard, but their unit marking in the 1877 regulations was 'G.d.C'. There was only one Garde Kurassier unit so that was also an elite unit. Yes, I would say this is a collectable! 

The number is high for a staff weapon, but in theory weapons were numbered continuously as issued, as new or as replacements.   

I haven't seen anything that would make me think that the Garde Korps as a whole unit had a single specific marking, but in the 1877 marking for a Korps was followed by a Roman number, so if there was a Garde Korps marking logically it would be 'K.G' or 'K.I'. 

Julian

Thanks Julian and Andy, so both My and ALTWW1  Kar.71 Karbines are Garde Kurassier guns, both came from Spandau

I guess mine was staff or headquarters unit, not having a company number and his, of coarse was 3rd company

Regimental marking without regiment number:
Garde-Kürassier-Regiment Place of station Berlin. Date of creation 21.02.1815. He belonged to the Guard Corps

Hey Julian, could that last one fit better?

The rest of the designation is what AndyBsk wrote.
In cavalry regiments, the second number smaller than the number and letters of the regiment - this is not the company (infantry / artillery / battery), but the squadron, and finally the smallest - the number of weapons in the unit.
No company / squadron number is the staff designation.
Everything clearly described in Jeff Noll. Unless there are so-called unregulated / war regulations.

And here are the collector's puzzles

Yes, we all agree regiment , can have two or three letters, separated with dots, such as reserve regiment, one letter in script R.R. ( no know how get script letters on phone) or R.E. For an ersatz ( replacement) regiment. After the regiment, the first number, normal size for company  and in small numbers at end is the weapon number

mine has no company number, so was issued to a staff, headquarters unit

For script letters I use italics if you have those on the 'phone keyboard.

GK 89 could be old stamping of headquarter unit anyway it could be too a Depot weapon of unit stamp, the Carbine is 1878 produced and 1909 refurbished?, question is when  not restipled or outdoted units, that would be correct weapon in 1909 for Garde units?, i believe they should have already a 8mm carbine. Garde got already a 1899/1900 Mauser 98 early weapons.