Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Peace Celebrations

crackingbloke

20200412_192048.jpg.1d3effc37c7b2c3f10b622876aa496f1.jpgI've had this photo for some time and I just wondered if anyone could identify the BOOZER? Well where this celebration was taking place.

Guy

I've no idea really but Like everyone one else have more time to trawl tinternet now ! , how about this ? same pub name and similar shape to the building ??

Horns Tavern

40 Knights Hill
West Norwood
LONDON

Horns_Tavern,_West_Norwood,_SE27_(2531857364).jpg

7 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

that looks much more likely than my posting plus the style of the windows look the same too.

Edited by jwp2007

I see a window ad for Spaten Münich Lager with its still-used spade logo. Strange that German beer was so prominently advertised during the war. 

Dave

Edited by depaor01

Photographer is Searle Bros of 19 Brompton Rd.

Interesting point about the german beer. I thought they put the windows in if anything sounded german. Perhaps beer surmounts all?

10 hours ago, jwp2007 said:

that looks much more likely than my posting plus the style of the windows look the same too.

Yes, the mix of square and curved panels match, as do the white pillars. The street lamps are the same and the word 'Spirits' is also just visible.

And if you blow the picture up, you can just about see the Bass advert panel on the wall.

11 hours ago, depaor01 said:

I see a window ad for Spaten Münich Lager with its still-used spade logo. Strange that German beer was so prominently advertised during the war. 

Absolutely.

Very unpatriotic.

They  should have been forced to advertise (and drink) Wrexham Pilsener Lager, est.1881.

2 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Yes, the mix of square and curved panels match, as do the white pillars. The street lamps are the same and the word 'Spirits' is also just visible.

And if you blow the picture up, you can just about see the Bass advert panel on the wall.

You can also see the pub name, "The Horns" above the Bass panel.

1 hour ago, Jim Clay said:

You can also see the pub name, "The Horns" above the Bass panel.

I meant in the pubwiki image:

HornsKennington1920.jpg