Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles DINNIE 3267 Gordon Highlanders

BarbaraG

Wonder if I should ask that this be moved to PHOTOS Wanted ..... would be interested to see Headstone.

Soldiers' Effects Register confirms he died of wounds.

CWGC appear to show some amendments for date of death, however main reference page and certificate pdf incorrect.

Shown as 1918 when amendments show 1916 - possible confusion with his brother Leonard's details.

Just posting this to demonstrate how the mistake is carried forward as other references all give 1918 e.g Lives of the First world War and Everyman Remembered and other assorted pages.

DINNIE Charles Fold3_Page_1_British_Army_World_War_I_Medal_Rolls_Index_Cards_19141920 (9).jpg

Edited by BarbaraG
Added MIC

hi Barbara

sorry, not got that one but just to post a general view being of the laid down headstones due to soft ground

Boulogne East.JPG

at a guess around where the wife is this side of the cross of sacrifice and second row from the left, plot 8 going I, D, C, B, A,  the two with the cross at the end are plot 7 B and A

Boulogne East 2.jpg

Edited by chaz

Hi BarbaraG,

And the error will remain for evermore unless it is brought to the attention of the relevant bodies.

Have you contacted CWGC to draw their attention to the discrepancy in their own records?

I think that should be your first step.

1 hour ago, travers61 said:

A photo is here, date of death shown on it as 18th March 1916.

https://www.twgpp.org/photograph/view/3060720

Many, many thanks - the details on the 'Headstone' section on CWGC were correct - good to have confirmation. 

1 minute ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Hi BarbaraG,

And the error will remain for evermore unless it is brought to the attention of the relevant bodies.

Have you contacted CWGC to draw their attention to the discrepancy in their own records?

I think that should be your first step.

Thank you. So far forwarded details to IFCP for advice. Now have task to start to check other refs. and advise as I go. 

2 minutes ago, BarbaraG said:

Many, many thanks - the details on the 'Headstone' section on CWGC were correct - good to have confirmation. 

Yes, also their Graves Registration Reports, and after correction, his biographical details.

It's the CWGC database entry that is incorrect, and that error is replicated in numerous secondary sources.

11 minutes ago, BarbaraG said:

Thank you. So far forwarded details to IFCP for advice. Now have task to start to check other refs. and advise as I go. 

That's  good.

You can however contact CWGC directly at

enquiries@cwgc.org

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

51 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

That's  good.

You can however contact CWGC directly at

enquiries@cwgc.org

Thanks again, will send email now. This will be something to fill my time tomorrow. CWGC open tomorrow - watch this space.

Just noticed that 'The War Graves Photographic Project' has also used CWGC date - got in touch with Steve and amendments made straight away

https://www.twgpp.org/photograph/view/3060720 

Edited by BarbaraG

• 2 weeks later...
  • spof changed the title to Charles DINNIE 3267 Gordon Highlanders