Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Meritorious Service Medal

Can anyone tell me about a medal recently found that probably belonged to my grandfather. It is silver coloured, has a head and shoulders portrait of George V in uniform on the front and the inscription “for meritorious service” on the back. The ribbon attached is bugandy with a white stripe on both edges and in the centre. Grandpop was in the Royal Navy and has the Pip,Squeak and Wilfred Medals.

thanks for any help. 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum l I've edited the title and moved this to the medals sub forum. If you can give as much information as you can about your grandfather, that would help members to assist you. 

Michelle 

It is easy to check if it was your Grandfather's medal as his details will be on the rim, they will also be on the other medals you have.

TW

Star will have details on  the reverse

& his Service Record will be available at the NA - I think you might access it & order from NA on Ancestry but cannot provide a link as I am not subscribed.  Is in the ADM188 series, & his 1WW medal entitlement will be found in the ADM 171 series.

The representative medal group I have attached - the MSM is the last medal in the group & the second photo shows the reverse....  this is what your grandfather's medals would look like KMR...

Thanks, Bryan

Brickell.CYS 001.JPG

Brickell.CYS 003.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

His MSM medal should have the recipient's details indented around the rim of the medal & it may state the theatre & year for which it was awarded.  Without a name I cannot check the MSM award book for you.

Thanks,

Bryan

• spof changed the title to Meritorious Service Medal