Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HalleWOI Researching the Commonwealth soldiers at Halle Cemetery (Belgium)

HalleWOI

Hello everyone. I live in Halle, Belgium and decided that, during these strange lockdown-times, it would be interesting to research the soldiers that are burried at Halle cemetery, near Brussels.

I am an historian, although world war I is nowhere near a speciality of mine, but know how to find my way around sources and hopefully I can find some information on here as well.

I have already found a lot of interesting websites and sources. I did notice that most of the records are behind a paywall at ancestry.co.uk, which is a bit different from Belgium where those records would be digitally available for free, but if it helps the research.

Right now I don't know where this will lead me. There are over 100 soldiers buried there. I do hope to write my research down, perhaps starting with a blog.

So this is my introduction. Hopefully I can find some information and help here and perhaps I can contribute to the WO I research.

Edited by HalleWOI

Welcome to the GWF, HalleWOI

Here is a starter for you - the only naval rating buried at Halle. Able Seaman James Percy BOOTH, R/6288, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (RNVR). 1st Royal Marine Battaion (1/RMLI) of the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division (RND), He joined Howe battalion of the RND in January 1918 but when Howe Bn was disbanded in February he was attached to 1/RMLI. He became a POW in the German Operation MICHAEL on 24 March and died of tuberculosis as a POW in Halle War Hospital Bavarian Section on 27 May 1918.

28 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Welcome to the GWF, HalleWOI

Here is a starter for you - the only naval rating buried at Halle. Able Seaman James Percy BOOTH, R/6288, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (RNVR). 1st Royal Marine Battaion (1/RMLI) of the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division (RND), He joined Howe battalion of the RND in January 1918 but when Howe Bn was disbanded in February he was attached to 1/RMLI. He became a POW in the German Operation MICHAEL on 24 March and died of tuberculosis as a POW in Halle War Hospital Bavarian Section on 27 May 1918.

Thank you very much for that contribution!

Hello everyone. I live in Halle, Belgium and decided that, during these strange lockdown-times, it would be interesting to research the soldiers that are burried at Halle cemetery, near Brussels.

I am an historian, although world war I is nowhere near a speciality of mine, but know how to find my way around sources and hopefully I can find some information on here as well.

I have already found a lot of interesting websites and sources.

Right now I don't know where this will lead me. There are over 100 soldiers buried there. I do hope to write my research down, perhaps starting with a blog.

So this is my introduction. Hopefully I can find some information and help here and perhaps I can contribute to the WO I research.

• Admin

I’ve merged the two posts to avoid repetition of help and answers.

Michelle 

13 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

I’ve merged the two posts to avoid repetition of help and answers.

Michelle 

Ha, thank you. Yes, might be a bit more convenient.