Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Lewisesofcorkdescendant

Trabash (possibly a corruption of Tribeach)

Lewisesofcorkdescendant

Hi,

This is more than a century off topic, but I'd be very grateful if anyone could tell me whether there was ever a military (especially navy) barracks called something like 'Trabash' in or around Dublin - I'm particularly keen to know whether it existed there around the 1790s and early 1800s. 

Why my interest? Family folklore says that my great-great-great-grandmother ran off with the family coachman and was disowned. There's strong evidence that a young couple with the right names lived in Dublin where he was a marine. (Unfortunately, we don't know her surname, but it is likely that she was born in Devonshire.) One of their two sons claimed in the 1861 (London) census that he was born at a place called Trabash, which I conjecture could have been his way of pronouncing 'Tribeach'. I have only been able to find a Dublin finance company of this name rather than a locality.

Any help on the existence of such a barracks would be gratefully received!

J

Michael Pegum

It looks as though nobody recognises this place-name.

Could you post the original entry in the census? Maybe the handwriting is open to a different interpretation.

Michael

Jervis

Hi. 
I am not familiar with the name and cannot think of any likely variants. 

For your information the link here shows a GIS map of all the 18 century barracks in Ireland. 18c barracks

Jervis

IPT
Name: Edward Mcdowell
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1861
Event Place: City of London, Middlesex, England, United Kingdom
Event Place (Original): St Andrews, London, Middlesex, England
County: London, Middlesex
Registration District: Holborn
Residence Note: Dove Court
Marital Status: Married
Birth Year (Estimated): 1797
Birthplace: Trabash,

Confusingly, the same man, as Edward McDonald, appears on the 1871 census, with a birth place of “Quebec, America”.

Name:    Edward McDonnell
Event Type:    Census
Event Date:    1871
Event Place:    St Andrew, Holborn, Middlesex, England, United Kingdom
Event Place (Original):    St Andrew, London, Middlesex, England
Sub-District:    St Andrew, Eastern
Enumeration District:    7
Marital Status:   Married
Birth Year (Estimated):    1797
Birthplace:    Quebec, America
Relationship to Head of Household:    Head

Also, in 1881;

Name:    Edward McDonald
Estimated birth year:    abt 1798
Relationship to Head:    Pauper
Where born:    Quebec, Canada
Civil Parish:    St Leonard Shoreditch
County/Island:    London
Street address:    "Holborn Union Workhouse" Shepherdess Walk
Marital status:    Widower
Education:
Employment status:    
View image
Registration district:    Shoreditch
Sub registration district:    Hoxton New Town
ED, institution, or vessel:    Workhouse Holborn Union Corp

Edited by IPT

Lewisesofcorkdescendant

Michael Pegum, Jervis and IPT, I am extremely grateful to you for your attention and replies, additional information (IPT, I'd not been able to find census records beyond 1861 for Edward McDowell jnr and now understand why!) and a second wind for this quest.

As you can see, I have attached the image of the 1861 census record for Edward McDowell jnr, younger son of the eloped pair (Edward McDowell and his wife Susan). In this census survey, he claimed (for the first time) to have been born at Trabash, but someone seems to have written 'Ireland' beside it, possibly at a later date - and could that be a faint question mark beside 'Ireland' but in the next column? 

In conjunction with IPT's great finds, in which Quebec is given as Edward McDowell jnr's birthplace, I am now looking for a location in Quebec that could have been garbled as 'Trabash'. 'Trois-something' seems likely but no luck so far. Younger son, who lives in Montreal, tried to find a likely candidate for me but was unable to help. I'll try other Canadian relatives.

I hope you don't mind but I'd like to post some further questions about the Royal Navy and the ship on which Edward McDowell snr was a marine, the Royal Sovereign, when he and Susan were living at 12, Halston St in Dublin. First, though, I'll post a transcript of the 1797 naval record of allotments; a genealogist found this as well as additional information giving the Dublin address. (I think that the source of this transcript may have been FindMyPast, where it was found for me by the genealogist, but I've also found it myself in British RN Allotment Declarations 1795-1852 via the UK National Archives.)

image.png.f63ff17283649e9315f19036a0bfce94.png

I don't think that Edward McDowell was still on the Royal Sovereign at Trafalgar, and haven't been able to find evidence in the National Archives of when he actually left the navy. Does anyone know, please, of a source where I would be likely to find this information?

Secondly, does anyone know if it would have been likely that a navy chaplain may have conducted a wedding ceremony for the eloping couple? if so, were such marriage records always passed on to national authorities? I'm not concerned about the proprieties - it's just that a marriage record is my only hope, I think, of finding out Susan's maiden name.(Seventeen English collections as well as others have already been searched for such a record.)

Thirdly, where would I find out if the Royal Sovereign, which googling has told me was launched in 1786 at Plymouth and was the third ship of that name, was ever dispatched to Quebec, particularly in the late 1790s? Given British-French hostilities at that time over Quebec, it would make sense. But, if Edward went off to fight in Canada would Susan have been allowed to go, too? (The reason that I initially assumed that Trabash must be in Ireland was that the couple's first son John was baptised in Ireland in 1795. They also had a daughter Sarah, my emigrant great-great-grandmother, who claimed to have been born in Bristol in 1807 but WWII destruction has made it impossible to verify that claim.)

Many thanks again to all of you and I hope that I'm not exhausting your patience with the above.

Jo

Edw & Eliza McD 1861 census Holborn (Finsbury).jpg

Lewisesofcorkdescendant

Thanks, Jervis, for your link to a list of 18thC Irish barracks. It was interesting to me for reasons other than the matters above to see where some Cork barracks were.

kenf48

As you acknowledge this thread began off topic and the original question appears to have been answered. As we're now going back another century regrettably this thread is now locked.

Members may of course continue the conversation using the forum's personal messaging system

Ken