Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gurkha headdress

Keith_history_buff

I have a number of questions in relation to what Other Ranks in the Gurkhas were wearing. I have italicised the questions.

There are some wonderful photos taken in 1915 for propaganda purposes of the Gurkhas, in the proximity of Hazebrouck. They were taken by H. D. Girdwood for the government of India, and are hosted online by the British Library. For those of a similar age to me, their crisp appearance and the distinct dimensions of their slouch hats remind me of Airfix plastic figures, albeit with WW1 Gurkhas having the left brim upturned. There is a similar appearance in the portrait of Gurkhas painted by Theodor Baumgartner. Did Gurkhas wear this headdress for the entirety of WW1?

This leads on to a completely different and less stylish item. I have seen at least two photos of Gurkhas at Gallipoli wearing cap comforters. There is an excellent thread on this subject below, and the 1901 cap comforter does seem to have a relationship with the Home Service Helmet that was worn from 1878 to 1914, although I don't believe the Gurkhas wore such a helmet. At what point in time would the Gurkhas have started wearing the cap comforter?

The third question probably has more bearing on the first one. I have seen images of the Gurkhas during Queen Victoria's reign dressed in rifle green jackets and kilmarnock caps. Was the kilmarnock cap still in use with the Gurkhas during WW1?

1 hour ago, Keith_history_buff said:

I have a number of questions in relation to what Other Ranks in the Gurkhas were wearing. I have italicised the questions.

There are some wonderful photos taken in 1915 for propaganda purposes of the Gurkhas, in the proximity of Hazebrouck. They were taken by H. D. Girdwood for the government of India, and are hosted online by the British Library. For those of a similar age to me, their crisp appearance and the distinct dimensions of their slouch hats remind me of Airfix plastic figures, albeit with WW1 Gurkhas having the left brim upturned. There is a similar appearance in the portrait of Gurkhas painted by Theodor Baumgartner. Did Gurkhas wear this headdress for the entirety of WW1?

This leads on to a completely different and less stylish item. I have seen at least two photos of Gurkhas at Gallipoli wearing cap comforters. There is an excellent thread on this subject below, and the 1901 cap comforter does seem to have a relationship with the Home Service Helmet that was worn from 1878 to 1914, although I don't believe the Gurkhas wore such a helmet. At what point in time would the Gurkhas have started wearing the cap comforter?

The third question probably has more bearing on the first one. I have seen images of the Gurkhas during Queen Victoria's reign dressed in rifle green jackets and kilmarnock caps. Was the kilmarnock cap still in use with the Gurkhas during WW1?

1.  Yes, the slouch hat (called ‘Terai hat’ for troops based in South Africa) was normal field dress headdress for Gurkhas.  Later on it was worn without one side pinned up.

2.  The cap comforter was issued to all troops for Winter wear and in the first two Winters of the war it was worn extensively by troops in the trenches, although less so in 1915 as the Gor Blimey trench cap with folding sides was issued to British troops, but the Indian expeditionary force did not have the latter and so used the cap comforter continuously in inclement weather conditions.

3.  The Gurkha regiments had a large number of orders of dress and the Kilmarnock bonnet was worn with several of them.  

I hope that helps.  See: https://thegurkhamuseum.co.uk/the-gurkha-hat/

81235636-F942-4A12-A1A7-01E3D1A93B14.jpeg

FF74D6F5-3FE9-4AE6-A28D-361831A7EED3.jpeg

1D774CDD-7379-47F4-A871-5BE850FD0A46.jpeg

676D292F-8073-4DE9-996D-DC06DF0A0D59.jpeg

A1190959-779B-46DB-9407-69291DEBAB5D.jpeg

81A98EA4-5A1A-4C2B-B6A5-2FCA1B65D042.jpeg

82DF5EE0-CB15-4481-8BBE-C470E419AEC1.jpeg

D9F69222-317B-455B-926C-8A422119877D.jpeg

C126AA27-671F-49E6-A552-AD85D6625823.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you for a very comprehensive answer. The second image with the three men in a trench at Gallipoli wearing cap comforters is one of the two I have seen that I was referring to. I was surprised to see them wearing Pattern 1914 leather equipment.

To go slightly off-topic, the first image on the link to the Gurkha Museum page is a good example of the British Army cardigan being worn under Pattern 1908 webbing. I have seen a picture of the Gurkhas wearing Pattern 1908 webbing, but it dated from the 1930s.

I was wondering if a more pointed style was being adopted by officers (re my last question), but I am wondering if that may be my misinterpretation of the image.

12 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

Thank you for a very comprehensive answer. The second image with the three men in a trench at Gallipoli wearing cap comforters is one of the two I have seen that I was referring to. I was surprised to see them wearing Pattern 1914 leather equipment.

To go slightly off-topic, the first image on the link to the Gurkha Museum page is a good example of the British Army cardigan being worn under Pattern 1908 webbing. I have seen a picture of the Gurkhas wearing Pattern 1908 webbing, but it dated from the 1930s.

I was wondering if a more pointed style was being adopted by officers (re my last question), but I am wondering if that may be my misinterpretation of the image.

No, you are confusing one style with another.  The squeezed point hat shown in your link is a slouch hat of the style issued to all British troops during the Boer war period.  Notice it has no pagri.  These were quite poor quality, relatively thin and went badly out of shape after getting wet.

The hat more closely associated with the Gurkhas has a distinctive pagri (shown in the second photo of your link) and resolved the flimsiness problem by using two hats, one fitted snugly inside another, then steamed, and set (see edge of brim in photo).  It makes a thicker and much more sturdy hat, but has the same appearance.

59560406-1F91-4C11-A4AD-2544FD4232B9.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you for having provided definitive answers to my questions, and an excellent selection of photos, too.

• 2 months later...

Some interesting war diary comments in respect of clothing and the Indian Army:

On 30/07/2017 at 18:56, Guest said:

Spellings are as per original viz Goorkha rather than Gurkha - a peculiarity of the Simoor Rifles. Any residual mistakes are entirely mine. Martin. 

2/2nd (KEO) GOORKHA RIFLES (THE SIRMOOR RIFLES)

12th Oct 1914. Monday. MARSEILLES.

Arrived in dock.

13th Oct 1914. Tuesday. CAMP VALENTINE. MARSEILLES.

The remaining five Companies reached Camp at 11:30. Tents were pitched in the morning and all Camp arrangements completed.

The Scale of kit to be carried by the man has had to be further cut down owing to the shortage of transport. The load on the man has consequently to be increased and the man will now carry together with his greatcoat an extra blanket Balaklava cap and sweater. L/Naik BULLOO SING KHATTRI was taken to the Adjutant General’s Office at PARC BORELY; he will be the clerk I/C of the Battalion records at the Base.

The drinking water in the Camp is none too plentiful and great care has to be exercised to free all water from contamination. Two French interpreters Messieurs BELLEFONDS and GANTES have reported themselves for duty with the Battalion.

14th Oct 1914. Wednesday. CAMP VALENTINE. MARSEILLES.

A wet day...

15th Oct 1914. Thursday. CAMP VALENTINE. MARSEILLES.

The wet weather continues which is making the Camp deeper in mud. Lt Gen Sir J WILLCOCKS visited the Camp and took exception to our black greatcoats. During the day we heard that a certain amount of clothing for issue to British troops but of small sizes was available for issue to units also 1500 British Warm Coats, so it was decided to indent next day for the coats and any other warm clothing available.

16th Oct 1914. Friday. CAMP VALENTINE. MARSEILLES.

Lt SCOONES went to No. 7 Hangar down by the docks at the Ordnance Depot and brought back British Warm Coats for the men of the 2nd Battalion to replace the black overcoats (the 1st Battalion men have British Warm Coats already).

11:00. A fatigue of 25 men detailed to assist in repairing the main road through the Camp under the CRE; relieved by another party at 2 hours who were at work until dark.

Maj ROSS arrived in evening with sufficient trousers and hats also 200 coats as supplied to British troops obtained from Ordnance Department.

In the evening orders were received that the Battalion would leave the Camp the following day in time to reach the GARE D’ARENC at MARSEILLES at 20:05 preparatory to entrainment. Subsidiary orders were issued accordingly. Transport (11 lorries) arrived at 17:00 and were parked North of the Camp. There were heavy thunderstorms during the evening. Rs 3,000 from the Treasure Chest sent to OC Depot through DDO

17th Oct 1914. Saturday. CAMP VALENTINE. MARSEILLES.

The warm trousers were issued to the men at 06:30. A Section of A Company put on coats and hats and accompanied by CO marched to the Brigade Headquarters to parade before the Brigadier. All the Brigadiers of the Division approved of the uniform for Goorkhas but the Brigadier General JOHNSON would not sanction until approved by GOC Army Corps.

Received 9 carts and 16 pack mules from Supply & Transport. Tents struck at 11:00 and four tents pitched in a drier place for the 1st Reinforcements of 73 men and all surplus kit and stores.

During the course of the day one man sent to Filed Ambulance with pleurisy.

Transport started at noon accompanied by Officers’ chargers and Machine Gun Section under Transport Officer.

16:30. The Battalion fell in and marched to the station.

19:30. Reached GARE D’ARENC.

The Quartermaster with Advanced Party had proceeded ahead to meet the RTO[3] and take over the train. When the Battalion arrived the 2nd Battery RFA were still entraining but a few minutes after they left and our train came in.

All baggage had been loaded into the train by 22:45 and the train left at 23:10. The men are accommodated in trucks, each truck holding 36 men.

Six men of 2nd Battery RFA who had missed the train conveying their own unit were taken on with the Battalion.

20th Oct 1914. Tuesday. LES AUBRAIS. CAMP LES GROVES.

Arrived at LES AUBRAIS the station in CHAMPS LES GROVES 2 miles from ORLEANS where the Meerut Division is to camp. After waiting for the tents which were loaded on motor lorries to go ahead the Battalion marched to the camp under direction of a Staff Officer, reaching Camp shortly before dawn. The Camp was pitched and all baggage unloaded and stacked by 09:00. A slight drizzle was falling all the time and the camp is like a ploughed field of sticky mud.

The Commanding Officer heard in the evening that the GOC Indian Army Corps would not allow our men to wear British soldiers’ hats; these will consequently have to be returned to the Ordnance Depot.

Lt E J Corse Scott

Adjutant, 2/2nd Goorkhas

20 Oct 14

21st Oct 1914. Wednesday. CAMP LES GROVES.

Two Water Carts and one Cook Cart taken over by Transport Officer, each drawn by two horses. One draught pair of horses are very new to the work.

Extra warm clothing was drawn for men and followers; for the men a vest and a pair of drawers and for Followers in addition a shirt and blanket. A fatigue of 100 men was detached for work at the Supply Depot during the morning.

The GOC Indian Army Corps came to the Camp and addressed the British and Goorkha Officers on one or two matters, chiefly that no Officer should unnecessarily expose himself except during a charge in an assault.

Extra entrenching tools received in the afternoon from the Ordnance Depot.

Report No. 1 on AF B213 sent to Adjutant General’s Office at the Base. Capt F H BARTON and Lt H C M LUCAS rejoined today from Embarkation Duty. 

On 13/03/2017 at 12:45, Guest said:

While the Indian troops that arrived were still wearing khaki drill rater than khaki serge, they were issued with warm under clothing - more than they could physically carry or wear as well as being issued with "Coat Warm British" almost from the beginning. On the outside one might be forgiven for thinking the IEF-A was struggling with thin uniforms whereas the reality was that they had access to plenty of warm clothing. The shortage of khaki serge did not mean there was a shortage of warm clothing. To illustrate the point here is a diary entry from one of the first battalions to disembark. It was written just two weeks after landing. 

15th Sikhs

9th Oct 1914. CAMP DE CEROTTES, ORLEANS.

Decided today that men would move forward on the following scale (total weight 10 lbs)

Worn on the man. Khaki warm pyjamas, warm shirt and sweater.

Carried on the man. Rolled up in his Coat Warm British the following, one thick warm pair of drawers, one thick warm vest, one pair gloves, socks and muffler.

Carried in the kits. One blanket, one waterproof sheet, one spare shirt warm, shoes and towel.

The blanket always carried by men up to date on their backs will be packed into sacks, labelled and left at the Base to be sent up later when the weather gets colder.

It was found that the men could not wear all this warm kit and carry a blanket, and further that the health of the men should be better if they had something warm and dry to change into at night instead of merely covering themselves up in a blanket.

Slightly later, but no less relevant, the diary of the 1/1st Gurkha Rifles recorded;

1/1st KEO Gurkha Rifles

30th Nov 1914. Monday. MARSEILLES.

Arrived MARSEILLES. Battalion rearmed with Mk III rifles, Mk VII ammunition  and Machine Guns to take same. Battalion clothed in warm serge clothing.

Which is slightly at odds with the idea that the IEF-A struggled through the winter of 1914-15 in thin khaki drill. The IEF-A hardly mention cold injuries and no more or less than the British Diaries of the same period. All recorded weather conditions as a matter of course but this does not necessarily equate to their men suffering more than other units.

I simply use these two examples to illustrate the fact that there is evidence in the diaries that is at odds with some authors' inferences. It follows therefore that evidence offered in the SIW [self inflicted wound] debate might also be scrutinised.