Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gruesome Find - 7981 William Younger Royal Scots Fusiliers

RussT

• Admin

I've been staring at this word for quite a while and I haven't got it yet - can anyone tell me what the word XXXXX is in the following extract (from the war diary of No 25 General Hospital, 23rd July 1917)

"A body of a British soldier found in a XXXXXX in the dunes and brought in for disposal ……."

Thanks

Russ

No 25 General Hospital War Diary Entry.JPG

• Admin

Ah … I see it now - I was looking at the P as two separate letters but now I can see it just as a P and the rest follows easily.

Many thanks all

Regards

Russ

Private William Younger, 7981, 2nd Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers, Born Dunfermline, Fife, Enlisted Dunfermline, Residence Kelty, Died 23rd July 1917, Grave reference 9. Neufchatel-Hardelot (Neufchatel) Churchyard, Pas de Calais, France. (Private William Younger died as a result of a drowning accident during the Regimental sports day near Hardelot, Pas de Calais, France)

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Chesterboy said:

Private William Younger, 7981, 2nd Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers, Born Dunfermline, Fife, Enlisted Dunfermline, Residence Kelty, Died 23rd July 1917, Grave reference 9. Neufchatel-Hardelot (Neufchatel) Churchyard, Pas de Calais, France. (Private William Younger died as a result of a drowning accident during the Regimental sports day near Hardelot, Pas de Calais, France)

Although that might sound informative, I would conclude it's wrong on many counts, clues to which are contained in the war diary extract I posted above.

Firstly, his body was found on 23rd July 1917 and "was in a very advanced stage of putrefaction" and he "had been missing for a fortnight". So I think it highly likely he died some time before 23rd July - perhaps at least two weeks before.

Secondly, whilst the 2nd battalion RSF war diary might merrily report they were having a jolly nice sports day on the 23rd July, the fact of the matter is that Pte Younger was not present with his battalion on that day as "he was attached for instruction to first army school" and so would account for his presence in the Hardelot area rather than in the active field with his service battalion.

Thirdly, the 2nd battalion RSF was not at Hardelot although he evidently was. They were in billets at Steenvorde near the Belgium border.

So I wouldn't believe everything you read (on the internet) !

Regards

Russ

nevertheless even though he had been missing a fortnight and his body was found in a state of decay

His death  for official purposes,is recorded  on CWGC, SDGW and the effects records  as the 23rd July 1917

younger.JPG.42ebe8d0633091d1296c9c159eb38f1e.JPG 

Ray