Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Roll for Territorial Force Efficiency Medal

Connor Bishop

Hello, I wondering if there is anyone here who has access to the TFEM roll? im trying to find out if my Great-Grandfather was awarded the medal as there has always been a rumor that he was awarded two medals. One of them i have found to be the British War Medal but i cannot find any record of the other, it is not a WW2 medal either as i have sent a letter to the MOD Medal Office before and they cannot find his on any rolls for WW2 or any service records. but while i was calculating his service to see if he was eligible for this medal I discovered he was - served from 1910 - 1916 in the West Som Yeomanry then served in the TF RHA afterwards with war service counting as double. So he clearly got the 12 years required, its just that i cannot access the medal roll for this particular medal. His details are as follows:

John Quartly Bishop

495 West Somerset Yeomanry

216697 Royal Horse Artillery

Awarded the British War Medal for his WW1 service.

Thanks if anyone can help

Welcome to the Forum Connor,

He doesn't appear on the TFEM rolls, the main reason being that he didn't qualify under the 12 year rule.

His Territorial Force service ended in March 1916 giving him 6 years plus the 17 months added during wartime.

His second period of engagement was as a Regular, being called up to No. 8 Artillery Training School in early March 1917.

First of all, thank you for checking

ive always thought that he he served in one of the territorial units of the RHA due to him being posted in Salisbury plains with them when he was in the Yeomanry. How is it that you can tell he joined up as a regular? Is there any paperwork for this please?  I’ve never been able to find anything out about his RHA service other than his MIC. Also, if you don’t mind, do you have any suggestions as to what his other medal could’ve been please? I would love to find out. If he DID actuallly get a second one that is! 

connor.

27 minutes ago, Connor Bishop said:

How is it that you can tell he joined up as a regular?

The Territorial Force numbering for the RHA was different. Also, very few men were enlisted directly into the Territorial Force after the Military Service Act was passed. The Medal Roll he is on does not mention RHA TF which it would do if he was. The award of just the British War Medal (as indicated so far) would most likely be for service in India. I cannot think of any other medal he would have qualified for that would not be mentioned on his Medal Index Card. He did not qualify for the Territorial Force War Medal.