Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Regiment?

Sav

The photograph below is from my great aunt's post card album. I believe that it may be a relative from Lancashire who served in the army in India around 1914 -1927.  There is no inscription on the back other than a stamp saying The Excelsior Photographic Co., Artists and Photographers, 1, Main Street, Poona. His badges look like Light Infantry. Any help in identification of the regiment would ben most appreciated as it then my help me identify the soldier.

Regards

Sav

img20200412_12132281.jpg

Edited by Sav
incorrect date

Duke Cornwall light infantry maybe?

To my eye I’m convinced there’s a knot at the top rather than a crown so I’m thinking it’s the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry.

Steve

I’m confident Steve is correct, there is a KSLI badge on the field service cap that’s carefully positioned on the table.  The uniform and hairstyle dates the photo closer to 1927.

70966C17-3395-499D-837A-28DEAE318DBC.png

Edited by FROGSMILE

For what it's worth, I'd agree with that.

1st Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry were based in Poona in 1920.

Steve.

20 minutes ago, Stebie9173 said:

1st Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry were based in Poona in 1920.

Steve.

The uniform and appearance of the studio background supports that and I think you’ve nailed the location, Steve.  Interestingly the field service cap was retained in India after its discontinuance on the home establishment.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1st Batt. KSLI, Poona 1920. Thanks very for that information. Does anyone know when the 1st Battalion returned from India? Did this battalion qualify for any medals or clasps during their period of service.

Sav

5 hours ago, Sav said:

1st Batt. KSLI, Poona 1920. Thanks very for that information. Does anyone know when the 1st Battalion returned from India? Did this battalion qualify for any medals or clasps during their period of service.

Sav

The battalion was in India from 1920 until 1938, when it returned home to Aldershot.  It missed the 3rd Afghan War and the Waziristan campaign and there were no formal Battle Honours during that time.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 KSLI moved to Bombay at the end of 1920, helping the civil power to deal with the non-cooperation movement inspired by Gandhi. After periods of training at Poona and Dinapore, in 1928 it moved by route march to Razmak for a tour of duty on the NW frontier. There was little actual fighting but all ranks received the NW Frontier Medal 1930-31. It then did a period of ceremonial duties in Delhi, ending its tour of duty in India at Kamptee and Karachi. It left India on 1 December 1938, moving to Bordon. It's next tour of operational duty was with 3 Bde and 1 Div IN the BEF. It held the salient at Dunkirk in the last days of the evacuation and was the last battalion to be embarked.

Here is the India General Service Medal (1908-35) with North West Frontier clasp mentioned by Robin, along with a KSLI private in Marching Order at the time.

A559865F-4CF3-4A6C-B668-F195FD2042C7.jpeg

DFA48AFF-5CDA-4713-B18C-74BD30D9644A.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Good photo, Frogsmile. Interesting to see his shoulder titles as I wore the same type in Singapore and Malaya in 1966 and 67. I still have the pair.

1 hour ago, Robin Garrett said:

Good photo, Frogsmile. Interesting to see his shoulder titles as I wore the same type in Singapore and Malaya in 1966 and 67. I still have the pair.

Yes, first adopted in 1921 to replace curved SHROPSHIRE.  Made in white metal from the 1950s.  The regiment didn’t always wear the separate bugle, especially on KD as in the photo.  Interestingly for quite a long time the officers wore their titles in bronze, which was unusual.

57572753-D875-48C3-AD51-9232BE6C1D7A.jpeg

C5FB53D7-9076-4F73-9C33-FEA763A65E48.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Interestingly for quite a long time the officers wore their titles in bronze, which was unusual.

Our rank badges were bronze but the shoulder titles were as portrayed.

1 hour ago, Robin Garrett said:

Our rank badges were bronze but the shoulder titles were as portrayed.

Yes, in the 1960s.  I should have been clear that I meant between the the two World Wars.  These variants are all recorded in the collectors book on metal shoulder titles.  I think that the bronze looks very attractive, especially with rank of the same metal.

CF7F6822-6309-46A8-9479-46098B3B96CE.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE