Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

O.J.Jones. Chief Mate SS Turcoman

Kath

Looks like Mt. Pleasant, Llanwnda which appears to be south of Caernarfon.

Mount Pleasant, Llanwnda perhaps?

I have the following note for him. HC = Herald Cymraeg (newspaper). It's online now but I cannot bring this cutting up in that particular issue. One possible explanation is that the paper had a couple of versions for different areas in Caernarfonshire where local village/area 'news' differed and I recorded it at one Archive (the Uni Library, Bangor) whilst the online version is from another archive (County Archives, Caernarfon) and they were different editions.

<Photo>

Captain Owen John Jones, eldest son of Mr Owen Jones, Mount Pleasant has died of pneumonia aged 49 years. He was the Chief Officer on the SS TURCONIAN, White Star Dominion Line. He died in a nursing home in Bristol on 17th April and was buried at Crawford Cemetery, Bristol. (HC 30/4/1918 under Llanwnda)

Edited by Hywyn

Thank you, Hywyn.

I had tried the online newspapers but got nowhere.

Thank you for your help.

Kath.

" Crawford cemetery, Bristol" doesn't sound correct to me. Could it be a misinterpretation of Canford cemetery, Westbury -on- Trym.

best wishes

ernestjames

Yes, quite right, Ernest.

Thank you.

Through FMPast, I found his Death Notice in  the Western Daily Press, 20 April 1918.

It said Canford Cemetery.

I've done a search on https://www.gravestonephotos.com/index.php

and FINDAGrave  but I don't think there is a headstone.

8 hours ago, ernest james said:

" Crawford cemetery, Bristol" doesn't sound correct to me. Could it be a misinterpretation of Canford cemetery, Westbury -on- Trym.

best wishes

ernestjames

I'll go with Cranford being correct. I probably couldn't read my own writing when I typed up the info recorded longhand at the archives. (I also have the vessel wrong)

Hywyn, perhaps you followed the interpretation on the newspaper website - the OCR would render M as IN - SS TURCONIAN .

There is this in your post 5 - <Photo>

Can you remember what the photo was?

I have a photo of O.J.Jones & written on the back is "Carnarvon Herald."

Edited by Kath

I made notes from the archived newspapers Kath (scrawl more like) and then typed them up later so typos would creep into my typed notes. This was way before newspapers came online. I'd go mostly to the County Archives but would occasionally go to the 'stacks' situated at the Univeristy Library, Bangor. Where there was a photo I'd note the fact. Not many photos of individuals by 1918.

The one I recorded was Yr Herald Gymraeg. It's quite likely the same info/photo would have been in other local papers such as the Carnarvon Herald.