Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ross Rifle help please

arsenalred

11 minutes ago, arsenalred said:

Ross Rifle 

can anyone give me any information about the markings on my Ross rifle please?

406D178E-E662-4717-8A0F-7665D041F065.jpeg

F6FECFCA-17F3-4FF0-82D6-A399CD7106C4.jpeg

DB7693FE-75B1-47DC-A9FC-98797C76D7BE.jpeg

It appears that your rifle (its an M1910 Ross) is liberally covered with DP marks.

DP = DRILL PURPOSE  - components known to be out of spec - DO NOT FIRE.

Beyond that the markings appear to be standard acceptance and inspection marks and there are marks on the butt (the roundel and II or III) which I can't make out.

Would it be possible to see an overview of the entire rifle to see which mark it is.

Chris

Looks like III to me from the image posted.

Always quite liked the Ross, generally pretty well made and accurate. Appart from anything else though that unlocked / fireable condition was a nasty possibility.

7 hours ago, onesearch said:

Looks like III to me from the image posted.

Always quite liked the Ross, generally pretty well made and accurate. Appart from anything else though that unlocked / fireable condition was a nasty possibility.

That's what I thought too -- but I couldn't really see the stamp. The DP markings made me wonder if it might be one of those supplied to Britain with simplified rear sight (MkIIIB) although the 1915 date would make this rather unlikely.

I agree the Ross is accurate but I find it a little heavy/unwieldy - I prefer the M1905 to the M1910 (with the added advantage that the former cannot be incorrectly assembled and fired unlocked!)

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons

I think an overall view & a close up of the sights would make a positive identification more likely, and you could be right about it being one supplied to Britain.

I'd certainly agree that the Ross is a cumbersome thing, ok for a leisurely pot on a range but pretty unsuited to being manoeuvred  around the confines of a trench. ( think i'd test fire any Ross with a fixed rest and a lanyard if I didnt know it).

Many years ago I had a sporterized Ross that was so badly worn that the bolthead could rotate before it had reached the interrupted threads of the receiver. I was never game to fire it. 

That was back in the days when collectors in Australia were allowed to take their rifles to the range or farm for a test fire.