Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st battalion Irish Regt group pic 1914 people of please

arantxa

12 minutes ago, Ali Michele said:

Thank you so much for explaining that, Frogsmile.  My next mission is to find out if she was living there with him.....bit of a family mystery going on.  Do you know if any records still exist from that time?  And if so, where they might have gone when the Barracks were demolished?

thank you so much again for helping me :D

I'm afraid that I don't think records of who occupied married quarters have survived Ali.  Your best bet will be if any children were born while they were in MQs (if they were) as they will usually be in the parish records nearby the barracks.  There might be some details in the register, but I'm not sure.

4 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I'm afraid that I don't think records of who occupied married quarters have survived Ali.  Your best bet will be if any children were born while they were in MQs (if they were) as they will usually be in the parish records nearby the barracks.  There might be some details in the register, but I'm not sure.

Thank you so much for the tip, Frogsmile 🐸 

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/07/2020 at 21:34, Ali Michele said:

Thank you so much for explaining that, Frogsmile.  My next mission is to find out if she was living there with him.....bit of a family mystery going on.  Do you know if any records still exist from that time?  And if so, where they might have gone when the Barracks were demolished?

thank you so much again for helping me :D

So here is Patrick's dependants pension record.  It lists two dependant children. I hope this helps.

Bennett, Patrick (9726).jpg

4 hours ago, scall38 said:

So here is Patrick's dependants pension record.  It lists two dependant children. I hope this helps.

That’s very useful to see.  In 1909 when the first child was born the 2nd Battalion were in barracks at Buttevant, but had moved to Raglan Barracks, Devonport, before the second child was born.  The soldiers married quarters seem to be outside the barracks lines and on the opposite side of the road. 

4329DA68-8550-4E23-BD48-48A4F40748BB.jpeg

5B0033E5-15D1-4036-A35F-46CD084574AE.jpeg

8FD3001D-1291-4EEF-90CB-D01C5303D1C1.jpeg

32ADAEA9-742F-4DC0-8EB7-0DA755C35E99.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, museumtom said:

image.png.a7f175cd8f01998c423928d687d608d6.png

Edited by Ali Michele
Posted by mistake

Thank you all very much indeed.  I have never seen these........thank you all sooooooo much again.  Is the photo of the chaps with their rifles 2nd Battalion?

30 minutes ago, Ali Michele said:

Is the photo of the chaps with their rifles 2nd Battalion?

It’s the same barracks, but a different regiment just a few years earlier, around the time of the 2nd Boer War.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Again, another massive thank you to you all for sending me the pictures.  Most poignant being the newspaper entry, thank you Museumtom.  I had heard from my grandad (his son) that he was mentioned in the newspaper, but we have never been able to find it, despite subscribing to this and that.  I recognise the name Moriarty from reading about the Battalion over the years.  If I’m right, I’m sure he was promoted and then killed himself one month later. I was just wondering if any of you know.......was it normal for there to be a newspaper entry like that?  I wonder if there were the resources etc to mention every man?  Could my great grandads death been more newsworthy for some reason?  

As far as I’m concerned, every death in WW1 was newsworthy and I think of them every day.

On 09/04/2020 at 16:42, FROGSMILE said:

On the way, they encountered a young Irish officer, Second Lieutenant John Shine from Waterford, who had been taken in by a Belgian woman and was dying from his wounds in an upstairs room. He would be the first of three Shine brothers to die in the war.

Thanks for that spot, John is one of my wifes ancestors. He was the first of the three Shines to die in the Great War, the next was at Mousetrap Farm in 1915 then Ypres 1917.

Where is he in the photo, any ideas?

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Thanks for that spot, John is one of my wifes ancestors. He was the first of the three Shines to die in the Great War, the next was at Mousetrap Farm in 1915 then Ypres 1917.

Where is he in the photo, any ideas?

That wasn’t me Rob.

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

That wasn’t me Rob.

Thought it was. Not a problem, will try by deduction as there don't seem to be many 2/Lt's in the front row

14 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Thought it was. Not a problem, will try by deduction as there don't seem to be many 2/Lt's in the front row

Apologies Rob, I forgot to put quotes around it.  The detail was Irish Telegraph I think and related to QMS Fitzpatrick.

Edited by FROGSMILE

48 minutes ago, mrfrank said:

As regards JD Shine, see post #44. I think he’s front row far right. 

Wonderful, very many thanks it's much appreciated.

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Apologies Rob, I forgot to put quotes around it.  The detail was Irish Telegraph I think and related to QMS Fitzpatrick.

Don't worry, quotes are beyond me!

• 1 year later...

A couple of additional names.

Front row and fifth from the left :             Lieutenant Frederic Hornby Lever Rushton M.C

Second row and eighth from the left :      Lieutenant Richard Ernest Gilchrist Phillips  (  Adj  )

Lieutenant Rushton received his Military Cross for evacuating Lt Colonel Cox ( second row and fifth from the left ) and Lieutenant Phillips from the Mons battlefield on the 23rd August 1914. Both these men survived the war however Phillips was badly wounded and became a prisoner of war.  Lieutenant Rushton was killed just south of the French village of Jouy on the 15th September 1914.

ROYAL-IRISH-REGIMENT-2.jpg

thats very interesting thank you

On 09/04/2020 at 15:58, Old Owl said:

Another is Bt Major Edward Martin Panter-Downes, 2nd Bn., who died on 26/8/14 from wounds received the same day.  He is seated second from the left and wears the ribbons for the QSA/KSA.  His rather unusual cuff rank? denotes his new rank of Major--the crown should be more central.

His portrait and details appear in 'Our Heroes' page 44 and also the Bond of Sacrifice Vol 1 page 116/117.

Robert

He was awarded the bronze medal of the Royal Humane Society for saving a man from drowning in 1898. I noticed the medal ribbon and looked him up.     Pete.