Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching my great grandfather RAF

Nath51

Hi guys, I have finally accessed my great grandfathers service record, how ever beyond knowing he was a wireless operator in the RAF in egypt, I don't know how to work out what squadron he was in with the information I have here, would it be possible for any one here to help me out?

received_1268933503305431.jpeg

Any details that could be gleaned from this would be extremly appreciated, as a wireless operator mechanic in the EEF, would he have not been assigned a squadron? 

Is it possible he was a WOG?

I've come across the acronym but I'm not entirely sure what it would entail.

Edited by Nath51

57 minutes ago, Nath51 said:

Any details that could be gleaned from this would be extremly appreciated, as a wireless operator mechanic in the EEF, would he have not been assigned a squadron? 

Is it possible he was a WOG?

I've come across the acronym but I'm not entirely sure what it would entail.

Hi

From the form it appears when with the EEF he was on the strength of "X" Aircraft Park, which I think at the time he was with it was at QANTARA, so not with a squadron.  Presumably he was involved in maintenance work there.

Mike

1 hour ago, MikeMeech said:

Hi

From the form it appears when with the EEF he was on the strength of "X" Aircraft Park, which I think at the time he was with it was at QANTARA, so not with a squadron.  Presumably he was involved in maintenance work there.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I've just read X aircraft park was in Abassia Cairo, and the advanced aircraft park was in kantara, would this be right? 

Is there anywhere I can read up about the goings on at XAP at the time?

There are 3 records at the UK National Archives related to XAP:

AIR 1/815/204/4/1280 - Personnel reinforcements for `X' aircraft park (Oct 1915-Jul 1917)

AIR 1/1606/204/84/15 - Establishment of `X' Aircraft Park, Egypt (Aug 1917-Mar 1918)

AIR 1/815/204/4/1278 - Personnel for `X' aircraft park: Force `D' 30 Squadron. (Mar-May 1916)
Edited by Buffnut453

1 hour ago, Nath51 said:

Hi Mike,

I've just read X aircraft park was in Abassia Cairo, and the advanced aircraft park was in kantara, would this be right? 

Is there anywhere I can read up about the goings on at XAP at the time?

Hi

Air-Britain's book 'Flying Training and Support Units Since 1912' has the following on "X" Aircraft Park:

"Left UK 7.11.15 in SS Anchises with No. 5 Wing HQ and No. 14 Sqn; 17.11.15 arr. ALEXANDRIA; 11.15 to HELIOPOLIS to at least 2.16; by 1.18 ABBASSIA; 1.18 to QANTARA; Absorbed into ASD Egypt at Aboukir 17.7.19."

Mike