Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where was 'Black Road', The Somme

Polar Bear

By context it looks to me to be between Montauban and Bazentin, probably nearer the latter but could anyone give me a better location?

Any assistance most gratefully received.

P

8 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Black Horse Road maybe?

Mike

Slightly north and west of where I thought it would be but not much. Therefore I think you have it.

Much appreciated,

P

Black Road on the Somme is mentioned in this web page on Private Theodore Veale VC 8th Devons:

In the last light of the day, a German patrol was seen approaching Veale's small group of Westcountrymen through the corn. Private Veale returned once more to Black Road in order to fetch a Lewis gun and returned to find that Lieutenant Duff, who had joined the party in no-man's-land, had kept the patrol off with his revolver. Then Private Veale and Lieutenant Duff gave covering fire, while Padre Crosse, Sergeant Smith and a stretcher-bearer carried Lieutenant Savill back across the remaining hundred yards to Black Road and relative safety.

https://www.keepmilitarymuseum.org/info/private+t+veale+vc

48 minutes ago, travers61 said:

Black Road on the Somme is mentioned in this web page on Private Theodore Veale VC 8th Devons:

In the last light of the day, a German patrol was seen approaching Veale's small group of Westcountrymen through the corn. Private Veale returned once more to Black Road in order to fetch a Lewis gun and returned to find that Lieutenant Duff, who had joined the party in no-man's-land, had kept the patrol off with his revolver. Then Private Veale and Lieutenant Duff gave covering fire, while Padre Crosse, Sergeant Smith and a stretcher-bearer carried Lieutenant Savill back across the remaining hundred yards to Black Road and relative safety.

https://www.keepmilitarymuseum.org/info/private+t+veale+vc

I am most appreciative of this.

I will examine where the 8th Devons were.

P

Edited by Polar Bear

3 hours ago, Skipman said:

It seems to be marked on this map Click

Mike

Many thanks (and exactly what I was looking for)

P