Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Gardenerbill

Great War Items on Antiques Roadshow

Gardenerbill

Thought I would start a new thread on Great War items on the Antiques roadshow.

Sunday 3rd of April there was a really nice box made by a German civilian while interned on the Isle of Man and it was signed.

Coldstreamer

There have been many over the years. Was the intention of the thread to highlight recent (when posted) or anything that was on in the past?

Gardenerbill

I have posted a few separately recently, like the 'honour goblet' one and thought it would make sense to have a topic for posting new items. There was an old topic but no one had contributed since 2014.

Gardenerbill

Tonight's program - Captain Douglas Renolds Henry Reynolds V.C M.C and triple plus memorabilia. Valued at £250,000.

Edited by Gardenerbill
Factual error

depaor01
1 hour ago, Gardenerbill said:

Tonight's program - Captain Douglas Renolds V.C M.C and triple plus memorabilia. Valued at £250,000.

I wondered if the miniature VC is cast from the same block of cannon metal as the full size one. Unlikely I know but anyone have a definitive on it?

Dave

Sepoy
2 hours ago, depaor01 said:

I wondered if the miniature VC is cast from the same block of cannon metal as the full size one. Unlikely I know but anyone have a definitive on it?

Dave

I am afraid not.

The actual Victoria Crosses have always been manufactured by Hancocks & Co, from bronze taken from canons captured from the Russians and the Chinese. Miniature Victoria Crosses have been made by a wide number of manufacturers, in bronze or bronzed alloys, and are unofficial.

Miniature medals have never been officially awarded by the Government with the full size awards/medals, but were/are privately purchased by the recipients to be worn on Mess Dress etc. They also vary considerably in quality. Older miniature Campaign medals were struck in silver, whereas today, current miniatures (including some older examples) are produced in plated base metals. 

As Victorian Miniature medals tended to be nicely produced, (some Orders can be found in gold with top quality enamel work) and are very collectable, especially the earlier ones or if they have engraved naming. Miniature Medal Groups, to confirmed owners, are also widely collected, being a cheaper option to collecting the full size Medal Groups.

Miniature VC medal groups, with a confirmed provenance, are extremely collectable and expensive. However, it is possible to purchase individual miniature medals to  re-created such groups, at a fraction of the cost, so be careful if buying such groups on line.

Sepoy

Edited by Sepoy

depaor01

Thanks.

keithfazzani

What he actually valued at £250,000 was the  VC, which is in the regimental museum. I don’t recollect what he valued the miniatures at, but not a lot. 

Black Maria
6 minutes ago, keithfazzani said:

What he actually valued at £250,000 was the  VC, which is in the regimental museum. I don’t recollect what he valued the miniatures at, but not a lot. 

It was £3,500-£4000 

keithfazzani

Thanks. I am no expert but that seems rather high for miniatures. Perhaps someone with better knowledge could comment. 

AOK4

There were also some drawings by Bruce Bairnsfather in the show.

MikeyH

Captain Renolds miniature medals

The lid of the case was marked with his name and 'East Haddon', which is just down the road from us.

Mike.

Edit to say that 'REYNOLDS', was indeed a local man. A report in the Northampton Echo for Dec. 10th 1917, reports that 'the enthusiastic

population of East Haddon turned out en masse at a reception for the Captain, who was recently awarded the Victoria Cross'.

Edited by MikeyH

Steven Broomfield

I very rarely watch the programme but saw the blurb beforehand. It was a pleasant surprise not to see the 'expert' crying. Every previous time I've seen him, he seems to start sobbing. Strange.

Coldstreamer

thanks -  Ill have a look on catchup

minis are valued rather steep but depends whats with the VC 

maxi

Most of the valuations in this programme seem to be in the thousands of pounds, which was quite a rarity when I used to watch it.

I used to like the curios and family memorabilia which, although worth very little, were more interesting to me.

Tom Kilkenny

Neither Douglas nor Renolds but Henry Reynolds I think.  

303man
On 13/04/2020 at 10:30, keithfazzani said:

Thanks. I am no expert but that seems rather high for miniatures. Perhaps someone with better knowledge could comment. 

Your paying for the story not the miniatures in this case!

keithfazzani

Yes, I see that. But still seems a lot. 

Gardenerbill
On 13/04/2020 at 22:56, Tom Kilkenny said:

Neither Douglas nor Renolds but Henry Reynolds I think.  

Hi Tom,

You are quite correct ,I will edit my original post; in defence I was skype called during the program and only caught the name Reynolds (seem I got that wrong as well) so googled Captain Reynolds and came up with Captain Douglas Reynolds who coincidentally also won a VC.

Tom Kilkenny
5 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Hi Tom,

You are quite correct ,I will edit my original post; in defence I was skype called during the program and only caught the name Reynolds (seem I got that wrong as well) so googled Captain Reynolds and came up with Captain Douglas Reynolds who coincidentally also won a VC.

Thanks Mark.  I was intrigued by one of the photos the chap had brought along that showed his grandfather (?) alongside 3 other officers and I'd wondered which regiment they were.  Douglas Reynolds was Royal Artillery while they were clearly Scots of some sort (Royal Scots in fact) so I thought it couldn't be him.  

Gardenerbill
Posted (edited)

On last nights program two items of interest: an Army Cook's memorabilia from the Great War that included his hand written recipe book and something (not Great War) I had never seen before an Army Gold Medal valued at £40,000. 

Edited by Gardenerbill

ForeignGong
1 minute ago, Gardenerbill said:

On last nights program two items of interest: an Army Cook's memorabilia from the Great War that included his hand written recipe book and something I had never seen before an Army Gold Medal valued at £40,000. 

That would have to be a Peninsula War Officers Gold Medal surely???? 

Gardenerbill
2 minutes ago, ForeignGong said:

That would have to be a Peninsula War Officers Gold Medal surely???? 

Yes sorry should have made it clear that it was not Great War but still interesting.