Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

An Image of Major A. G. White, Indian Army

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear All,

Archibald George White, son of Colonel G. A. White, South Lancs R., born Peshawar, on 21 Oct 1884: passed out of RMC Sandhurst (2Lt Mdx R. 1904) and IA 12 Jan 1906 to 126 Baluchistan Infy 1 May 1906. War Service in Egypt, etc. 1930-31 Campaign. Inexplicably not in the 1924 Indian Army List showing War Services...

A Goodie for any GWF Aficionado who can supply me with an Image of Major A. G. White, please!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim,

If it helps any he was serving as a company commander with 2nd Battalion 10th Baluch Regiment (the former 126 Baluchistan Infantry) at the time of his retirement.

I have a copy of the Jan 1930 Indian Army List supplement with the war services statements and will type it out for you if you want.

He would have known Cyril Francis “Feathers” Featherstone who joined the battalion in March 1923 and who I have researched.

Best regards,

Matthew

Dear Matthew,

Super!

Yes, indeed, that would be most helpful.

White was briefly an acting Lt-Col., but retired at 47 as a Major. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim and all,

searching....married Gertrude Mabel Hallett (b.18.9.1886 1939 register), 22.3.1919  @ St.Luke's , Richmond, Surrey. Captain Indian Army. Father George Augustus White, retired Colonel.  Archibald died 12.12.1961, Hampshire. At time of marriage to Alice Salter 13.12.1882 his father, a Major, was a widower .His g/father William was a doctor in the army.

His brother Geoffrey Augustus Stewart White, Lt.S.Lancs. Regt, died 10.9.1914....searching the family Archibald was 1 of 6 childrenCol George Augustus White

This is his father George Augustus White, from tree on Ancestry...working on it.

His brother

Lieut. Geoffrey Stewart Augustus White

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Dear Barry,

Super!

Many thanks for 1) the date of Archibald White's death; Images of 2) his Father; and 3) younger brother. An older brother was KiA in, I think, 1917...

All much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear All, and Barry,

Dick kindly found Archibald George White's School:-

Brighton School in Sussex.

He attended from the Christmas Term 1898 to the Summer Term 1901. Perhaps the School Archive has a Sports photo tucked away?

I also ascertained that his first Appointment to the Indian Army was to 46 Punjabis (from the Middlesex Regt) on 15 Jan 1906. (126 Baluch on 1 May 1906.)

He retired as a 47-year old Major on 13 Aug 1931, having just qualified for the subsequently awarded NWF 1930-31 clasp to his IGS.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

On 06/04/2020 at 10:22, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Barry,

Super!

Many thanks for 1) the date of Archibald White's death; Images of 2) his Father; and 3) younger brother. An older brother was KiA in, I think, 1917...

All much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim

The older brother was George Arthur Wellesley Hallifax White b.30 .7.1874 d.28.4.1917 Battle of Arleaux en Gohelle , France. His mother, Emily Harford Hallifax b. 1846, Dublin, died 25.9.1874 in Lucknow, India.  ?complications after his birth ? There was an older sister May Harriet Louisa Hallifax White b.1.1.1873, Lucknow, India. d. 24.6.1882 Portsea, Hampshire. she is buried  Highland Rd., Cemetery. Photo of grave on line.

Here is a photo of George Arthur Wellesley Hallifax White,

CEF Attestation Papers for him here  https://www.ancestry.co.uk/mediaui-viewer/tree/118777798/person/320177670608/media/gpc017-669473a

Regards Barry

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 6.50.42 PM

Edited by The Inspector

Dear Barry,

What a brilliant encircling movement: Archibald White's father, younger brother, now older brother (!).

Well done!

I was unable to open the Canadian records papers, but never mind.

All much appreciated. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All, and David and Barry,

Many thanks for all your invaluable help, in true Great War Forum style!

Unfortunately I was the under-bidder for the Major Archibald White medals - however, I have beamed the excellent Portraits and Canadian papers to the new owner...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 2 years later...

I'm two years too late to the conversation.  The photos you've come up with are from my Ancestry tree - Major Archibald George White was my great grandfather's half brother, I'm in touch with his descendants and I still haven't managed to get a photo of him myself!  I'm going to reach out again just for my own interests.  

Cheers

Jane

Hopefully this is the AG White being referred to.  Here are photos of Archibald George White, my English Grandfather, who did serve in the Indian Army. He and his wife, Gertrude, lived with my family in Kentucky in early 1960s for about a year. The top two photos were taken when they visited us in Dallas TX in 1950's.  I don't think I ever saw him without his coat or tie on when they lived with us.  He definitely had a no-nonsense military bearing!

White Papa Photos 1950-60.jpg

On 16/01/2023 at 14:36, Jerry H said:

Hopefully this is the AG White being referred to.  Here are photos of Archibald George White, my English Grandfather, who did serve in the Indian Army. He and his wife, Gertrude, lived with my family in Kentucky in early 1960s for about a year. The top two photos were taken when they visited us in Dallas TX in 1950's.  I don't think I ever saw him without his coat or tie on when they lived with us.  He definitely had a no-nonsense military bearing!

White Papa Photos 1950-60.jpg

Yes I can confirm that the above photos are the same Archibald George White being discussed in this thread!

"Archibald George White, son of Colonel G. A. White, South Lancs R., born Peshawar, on 21 Oct 1884: passed out of RMC Sandhurst (2Lt Mdx R. 1904) and IA 12 Jan 1906 to 126 Baluchistan Infy 1 May 1906. War Service in Egypt, etc. 1930-31 Campaign."

• 11 months later...
On 06/04/2020 at 04:40, The Inspector said:

Hi Kim and all,

searching....married Gertrude Mabel Hallett (b.18.9.1886 1939 register), 22.3.1919  @ St.Luke's , Richmond, Surrey. Captain Indian Army. Father George Augustus White, retired Colonel.  Archibald died 12.12.1961, Hampshire. At time of marriage to Alice Salter 13.12.1882 his father, a Major, was a widower .His g/father William was a doctor in the army.

His brother Geoffrey Augustus Stewart White, Lt.S.Lancs. Regt, died 10.9.1914....searching the family Archibald was 1 of 6 childrenCol George Augustus White

This is his father George Augustus White, from tree on Ancestry...working on it.

His brother

Lieut. Geoffrey Stewart Augustus White

Regards Barry

Archibald White is my great grandfather.  This is amazing to find!  I want to know more.   My grandmother only showed me photos once of her childhood. 

Dear All,

A typical Grear War Forum search completed in a satisfactory manner, benefiting all.

Thanks are due all round.

Kindest regards,

Kim.