Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glamorgan V.T.C. Brassard

OLD ROBIN HOOD

Greetings from a warm and sunny but locked down Sherwood Forest.

Hope that the attached images will be of interest to V.T.C. collectors. 

It is a brassard from the Glamorgan V.T.C. and is the most well marked that I have ever owned.

This example is made of felt rather than worsted.

DSC01680.JPG.047290f6098bd4253efd78106c35e327.JPGDSC01679.JPG.56fd897983adc13f4bfc6f88b760ba67.JPGDSC01678.JPG.657babd9af843f2bd258377338e552f7.JPG

As you will see it was issued to E.C. Charles who belonged to the 5th Battalion and appears to have lived at 167, Mackintosh Place, Cardiff. 

I have not been able to find out much about him so can anyone out there can help?

I have several of these brassards in my collection but none as well marked as this one.

Hope you find it of interest.

Keep cheerful and keep safe. These troubled times won't last forever.

Old Robin Hood                                             

Nice item ORH

Cheers 

Chris

I have an Edward Charles aged 40, in the 1911 Census at Tewkesbury Street, about half a mile away from Mackintosh Place.

There may be more.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/2353/rg14_32107_0395_06?pid=308419&treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Jhg538&_phstart=successSource

Are you sure it's Edward C.?

I have an Edward G. Charles, 21, Clerk with Railway company , at Donald Street, 1/4 mile away.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/2353/rg14_32071_0265_06?pid=768738&treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Jhg539&_phstart=successSource#?imageId=rg14_32071_0265_06

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Greetings Dai

It could be E.G.Charles , the writing is pretty bad . Edward G sounds quite possible . Many thanks

Robin

• 2 months later...

I used to live on mackintosh place, 1980's. An interesting item of my home town history

1 hour ago, Jerry B said:

I used to live on mackintosh place, 1980's. An interesting item of my home town history

Was it the Raj Dooth used to be down the bottom near the junction with Crwys & Albany Road, almost next door to the  George?

The Cardiff  or Glamorgan chevrons crop up in all sorts of insignia in that part of the world.  The crests of Cardiff City Council over the years, Cardiff Rugby Club and now the Cardiff Blues regional rugby team all feature the chevrons. They are the historic crest of the city, or the Cardiff Arms. A pub of that name once stood in Westgate Street, that owned a patch of waste ground on the other side of the street where people used to meet to play sports. That patch of ground became Cardiff Arms Park.

In colour, the chevrons are usually depicted as red, on either a white or yellow background.

They are said to be the arms of the last king of Glamorgan, Iestyn ap Gwrgant, who was ousted from his lands by the Norman invaders around 1100.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iestyn_ap_Gwrgant

Greetings From Sherwood Forest

I am glad that my brassard has created interest . It looks as if it could have been worn by EDWARD GILBERT CHARLES ,

also I had never seen the Glamorgan V.T.C.. badge before. I am most grateful for all the information.

Keep safe

Robin

On 06/06/2020 at 16:41, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Was it the Raj Dooth used to be down the bottom near the junction with Crwys & Albany Road, almost next door to the  George?

now your asking, I remember the indian being there but not its name, and I drank many a pint in the george, even played for the pub pool team at one time.