Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can someone help identify uniform?

Anne Clinch

Hi 

can someone tell me if my Gt great grandfather here is in a WW1 uniform or home-guard uniform. Or any other clues ie regiment? Picture taken 1914/15

thank you 

2D7071A4-F517-4B45-BB20-2F66BDDC5B6B.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum

If the picture was taken in 1914/15 there was no 'Home Guard'. There were various volunteer formations for home defence but no 'Home Guard' as there was in the 2nd World War.

As to the uniform that is WW1 and unhelpfully (but as is often the case) he is not wearing his cap which is one of the best ways to identify someone's regiment. He does appear to have a metal shoulder title. Unfortunately it is blurry but looks on the shortside to me. There also only appears to be a single row to it. That rules out a lot of regiments but many still remain.

Do you have a name for him because from the photo unless a better resolution shot can be taken of the shoulder title I seriously doubt a regiment can be given.

P

Hi

Thank you for info.

John James Hunt

Im currently searching on ancestry.

The photo was sent from my brother, I’ll see if he can scan it.

Thank you

A

No problem.

I had a quick look at the medal card index but John Hunt is an annoyingly common name and in the first couple of pages (of nine) I came up with at least three good candidates. (Middle names are not always used). Therefore I doubt that avenue will be of much use.

Sorry.

P

1 hour ago, Anne Clinch said:

Hi

Thank you for info.

John James Hunt

Im currently searching on ancestry.

The photo was sent from my brother, I’ll see if he can scan it.

Thank you

A

Hi,

There is a John James Hunt who served with the Army Service Corps (A.S.C. shoulder title ) as a motor transport driver (M.T.). As Polar Bear has suggested, a better scan may help rule possible candidates  in, or out of contention.

If you can provide a date/place of birth for John, marriage date, or DoB for any children, it may help track him down.

Edited by GWF1967

LINCS? (Lincolnshire Regiment)

Thank you that is exactly what we needed.

Looks like Lancs or Lincs are the best fit for what we can see. With that in mind what about (from medal cards):

Unlikely but included for completeness John Hunt (1992) Lancashire Fusiliers.

Acting Corporal John Hunt (30800) Lincolnshire Regiment (Can't be ruled out but you suggest a Lancashire link - NOTE - after the initial wave of volunteers people went where they were sent so a Lancashire man in a Lincolnshire Regiment is possible)

Private John Hunt (1442) Lincolnshire Regiment (as above)

Corporal John Hunt (241922) South Lancashire Regiment (He's on the older side for a soldier and so may well have been considered a steadying influence on the younger men. Hence Corporal. It's a theory anyway but if I had to guess on one then this would be my choice. Medal Card dows not give battalion which would mean we could tell you where and when he was. However the number (241922) may be of use - assuming it is him)

Private John Hunt (8304) Lincolnshire Regiment (as above)

Of course we could be missing some because medal cards are archived by final regiment served in. So for example someone transferred from a Lancashire regiment to The Machine Gun Corps on its foundation would only show up as MGC (without further digging)

Yours

P

I thought the Lincolnshire Regiment was "LINCOLN" even in the slip on fabric style above.

Could it be KINGS (Liverpool) ?

e.g.

https://www.barnebys.co.uk/auctions/lot/ww1-kings-liverpool-regiment-slip-on-shoulder-title-TyOgt-PEJ

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

2 minutes ago, Stebie9173 said:

I thought the Lincolnshire Regiment was "LINCOLN" even in the slip on fabric style above.

e.g.

https://www.barnebys.co.uk/auctions/lot/ww1-kings-liverpool-regiment-slip-on-shoulder-title-TyOgt-PEJ

Steve.

Ooh. Good call. Didn't think of that.

I do not think I saw a Kings (Liverpool) in the medal card index. However I'm not going through them again. There's too many. Of course he could have started in the Kings and gone on to either Labor Corps or Machine Gun Corps. The former especially had a number of potential candidates.

There is a King's Liverpool John James Hunt (No 3691) from Southport. Is that possible? He has a pension record - of 52 Hensington Rd, Southport - discharged after 3 weeks in early 1915. One to eliminate from inquiries?

Steve.

I've had a look at the MICs and rolls, and found the below:

Hunt, James 27973

Hunt, James  29123

Hunt, John J Cpl 31572 (unfortunately, roll gives middle name as Jos(eph)

Hunt, John 1626

Hunt, John Cpl 2842

Edited by cmf

Thank you all for your help. I will go back on ancestry site tomorrow & go through them again- checking out those that have been mentioned. I matched some medal cards to enlistment documents and helped rule out some I found earlier.

This all came about because of my brother sharing the photo, there are no tales or stories of him being enlisted but he did live unlike my other Gt grandfather who was killed in France (I have lots of research/research).

I will keep you posted on what I find. Thank you all so much,

Anne

My delving so far:

Hunt, James 27973 - served with 1st Battalion and the the Machine Gun Corps No. 139522, discharged 7-1-1919

Hunt, James  29123 - served with 19th Battalion King's Liverpool, died 30-7-1916

Hunt, John J Cpl 31572 - John Joseph as noted above, 12th Battalion

Hunt, John 1626 - late No. 305160 overseas after 1-1-1916 - 1/8th Battalion and then 1/7th Battalion

Hunt, John Corporal, No. 2842 - later No. 265764, to France 8-3-1915 - 1/7th Battalion, then 1st Battalion, then 4th Battalion

Also

Hunt, James 19472 - served Sep & Oct 1914 Elliott Street, Grey Mare Lane, Manchester

Steve

Stebie9173 has found the golden clue with his link to the slip on title KINGS - seems a dead ringer.  The soldier also seems to be wearing wire framed glasses which probably rules out 27973 who transferred to MGC …….. but stranger things have happened.  

Edited by TullochArd

1 hour ago, Stebie9173 said:

There is a King's Liverpool John James Hunt (No 3691) from Southport. Is that possible? He has a pension record - of 52 Hensington Rd, Southport - discharged after 3 weeks in early 1915. One to eliminate from inquiries?

Steve.

Not him.

He's unmarried, whereas our man was married to Amelia in 1904

Ah yes I missed the marriage details - Amelia Jane Rudersdorf. Found that now.

I see there were births to the couple in 1912, 1914 and 1922 which would suggest an absence during the war years.

Steve.

The Museum of Liverpool holds a database of soldiers who served in the King's (Liverpool) Regiment. It is computerised but not online. It can be accessed at the Museum (but obviously not in the current lockdown!). You may be able to contact them though.

Steve.

4 hours ago, Stebie9173 said:

e.g.

Steve.

Just wanted to say that was a good spot, Stebie.

I see he worked for the Prudential in 1911. It may be worth contacting the Prudential archivist about whatever they may have on him in their main or Union archives?

Steve.

14 hours ago, Stebie9173 said:

The Museum of Liverpool holds a database of soldiers who served in the King's (Liverpool) Regiment. It is computerised but not online. It can be accessed at the Museum (but obviously not in the current lockdown!). You may be able to contact them though.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

The Museum of Liverpool do indeed hold a database on soldiers serving in the King's (Liverpool) Regiment during the First World War.

It is online at:

https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/kings-regiment

Ian

Edited by TullochArd
New link

I am not getting a link to a database search on that web-page. How do you search it?

Steve.

The database created by John Devereux hasn't been online for a while.

Have we got the right dob for JJ ?

These are the Lancs Parish record making it about 1879

Dave

Marriage: 30 Apr 1904 St Peter, Newbold, Lancashire, England
John James Hunt - 25, Carter, Bachelor, 67 Milnrow Rd.
Amelia Jane Rudersdorf - 22, Spinster, 67 Milnrow Rd.
    Groom's Father: William Henry Hunt, Excise Officer
    Bride's Father: Frederick William Rudersdorf, Painter
    Witness: Frederick Rudersdorf; Pauline Rudersdorf
    Married by Banns by: Ernest Elliot, Vicar
    Register: Marriages 1891 - 1905, Page 225, Entry 449
    Source: Original Parish Register