Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Langtry RFA 1916

A.P.Grimley

Hi,

Albert Langtry,RFA ,4th brigade D battery,L/18236,is recorded as dying on August 2 1916.As far as I can tell,he was in Mesopotamia around that time,but his death is recorded as Corbala,which is just outside modern Mumbai.He is remembered on the memorial at Kirkee near Pune.Ancestry places his death as Egyptian Theatre.There are some miles between these places.....I believe there was much action at Kut around that time and am thinking he may have been wounded and shipped to India where he died.

How feasible is that and can anyone guide me in my research please.?
Andy Grimley

21 minutes ago, A.P.Grimley said:

Hi,

Albert Langtry,RFA ,4th brigade D battery,L/18236,is recorded as dying on August 2 1916.As far as I can tell,he was in Mesopotamia around that time,but his death is recorded as Corbala,which is just outside modern Mumbai.He is remembered on the memorial at Kirkee near Pune.Ancestry places his death as Egyptian Theatre.There are some miles between these places.....I believe there was much action at Kut around that time and am thinking he may have been wounded and shipped to India where he died.

How feasible is that and can anyone guide me in my research please.?
Andy Grimley

Casualties from Mesopotamia were evacuated back to India.

The soldiers effects records show he died in India - the £2 service gratuity noted is also done in a way unique to those men who died in Mesopotamia/India.

image.png

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60506/42511_6117462_0062-00120?pid=55517&backurl=https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc%3DnWt534%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource%26usePUBJs%3Dtrue%26indiv%3D1%26dbid%3D60506%26gsfn%3Dalbert%26gsln%3Dlangtry%26cp%3D0%26new%3D1%26rank%3D1%26uidh%3D784%26redir%3Dfalse%26gss%3Dangs-d%26pcat%3D39%26fh%3D0%26h%3D55517%26recoff%3D%26ml_rpos%3D1%26queryId%3D1c99fef565f8d41c2a0ea41a87ead0a2&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=1c99fef565f8d41c2a0ea41a87ead0a2&usePUB=true&_phsrc=nWt534&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true

Craig

15 minutes ago, A.P.Grimley said:

How feasible is that

Very, very feasible:)

The medical evacuation chain from Mesopotamia led to India. In the early stages of the campaign the Mesopotamian campaign came under the direction of the India Office rather than the War Office, and utilised the Indian Army with its attached British units that were already stationed in India prior to the outbreak of war.

The source for him serving in Egypt is probably Soldiers Died in the Great War, which states that. Originally an HMSO publication from the 1920's,, it's a good starting point, but shouldn't be taken as gospel.

One caveat - Mesopotamia was one of those Theatres where the chance of dieing from ill-heath was much higher than from combat. Soldiers Died in the Great War records him as "Died" which can be taken as an indicator that his death wasn't directly combat related - for that you get Killed in Action or Died of Wounds. But like I say SDGW isn't gospel, only a good starting point. In that regard the Army Register of Soldiers Effects doesn't help and I'm assuming there are no surviving papers.

In that case it may be a question of checking his families local newspapers from the time.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Andy,

I don't know where you got D Battery, 4th Brigade RFA from as CWGC and Craig's post above show D Battery. 66th Brigade RFA.

From his number I can tell he joined 170th Brigade RFA around May 10, 1915.

The big question is how did he get from 170th Brigade RFA, who were in Egypt in early 1916, to Mesopotamia with 66th Brigade RFA.

The answer may lie in the fact that 66th Brigade RFA left Port Said for Basra in February 1916.

I also concur that there was an evacuation from Mespot to India before his death.

EDIT: The Rochdale Observer confirms his enlistment in the County Palatine RFA (incl. 170th Brigade RFA)

1716351136_AlbertLangtry.jpg.613f7cd09eca4bc7a33abec139acc664.jpg

Edited by David Porter

This article should be interesting...courtesy of The British Newspaper Archive. 

Screenshot_20200404-191548.jpg

The lad himself.

Screenshot_20200404-193435.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer

Thank you all so much for your insightful investigations on my behalf.Whereas you have confirmed my potential version of events,you have also furnished me with unknown detail,for which I am grateful.

I assume that he volunteered,at the age of 41...
Is anyone able to clarify the document provided by Craig above,his effects record please? Lots of numbers which evidently mean something....

Regards..and thanks..

Andy

The effects record covers the money paid out on his death.

The top figure is the service gratuity, based on length of service.

The middle figure is unpaid wages owed to the man.

The red figure is the war gratuity (also paid for length of service).

Craig