Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George William Steel RFA

Steel

Hello, This is my first post on the forum. I am trying to trace my Great Grandfather's movements. I'm beginning to think that he may not have been in 

any campaigns, but may have remained in the Uk. He was a member of the Territorial Force when the war began in 1914. He was called up in 1915 and 

his service ended in 1917. I know that he had a short attestation when enlisted. He was from Cardiff and was sent to Bettisfield Park for training. He

is listed as a Gunner in the Royal Field Artillery, 2 Reserve Brigade, 'C' Battery, TF. The particulars upon discharge were furnished: Woolwich 23.06.1917.

Could anyone please throw any light upon whether his brigade ever left the UK? I would be very grateful for any information which may help me to understand

his movements. Thanks for any comments.

Welcome to the Forum

As to your specific question I am sure one of our Artillery experts will be along though it might be helpful to give his name so that they hav more to work from.

I also wonder if you have seen this https://rememberingww1.wordpress.com/tag/bettisfield-park-camp/ It is about life at Bettisfield Park, albeit not the unit your great grandfather was in.

Thank you very much for your response. I will have a look at the information provided. My Great Grandfather was George William Steel. I wasn't sure if I should be mentioning his name. 

11 minutes ago, Steel said:

Thank you very much for your response. I will have a look at the information provided. My Great Grandfather was George William Steel. I wasn't sure if I should be mentioning his name. 

No problem.

Though thinking about it you might want to change the title of the thread so that our artillery experts stand more of a chance of seeing it. Just adding 'Royal Field Artillery' ought to be enough. Alternatively you might want a moderator to move it to 'Soldiers and their Units'. That tends to be a more heavily visited forum though I can exactly see why you posted it where you did.

• Admin

I’ve changed the thread title 

Michelle 

Thinking about it the link I pointed you towards would I guess describe the summer of 1915. I say this because an ancestor of mine was sent to Prees Heath (a few miles away) at the time but it was found to be too wet/ muddy and so they were moved to Richmond/ Wensleydale in Yorkshire.

Welcome to the Forum,

"C" Battery, No. 2 Reserve Brigade RFA (TF) remained at Bettisfield Park from formation to the end of the war.

Looks like he was numbered 193760 (thanks Chris), who attested under the Derby Scheme on December 11, 1915 and was called up on November 10, 1916.

Discharge is given from the same "C" Battery on March 16, 1917 "Service no longer required" King's Regulations Para 392 (xxv).

Thank your for your responses and information Chris and David Porter. I do wonder what they did throughout this time, because I understood Bettisfield Park was purely for training.There was also some suggestion that he may have been injured, because he requested medical records from Chelsea Hospital, London in 1939. Probably something to do with his pension. What is the meaning of "Service no longer required." Does it suggest in any way that this was dishonourable?

I have today found something about his medical grading. My ancestor was graded C3, which suggests sedentary roles during the war. He was 31 years and 11 months

of age when he enlisted, and wore spectacles. He was also married with two children. Another query. Why is Lance-Corporal alongside my user name Steel?

'Lance Corporal' indicates you have made more than 5 posts. Previously it would have said 'Private'.

As a note the closest ancestor to me who died wore spectacles and contrary to the film 'My Boy Jack' found himself in an infantry battalion on the Somme. Therefore that would not have been an immediate disqualifying point.

P