Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Patt 14 Mk1 ERA rifle manufactured date?

31st MGB-AEF

Hello all GWF members! I am a new Yank member who has acquired an Eddystone ERA Patt 14 MK1 rifle.

I would like (if possible) some information on acceptance / Mfr. date and information on the brass disc in the butt stock.

* Rifle is serial # ERA 28086  All parts are serial number matched.

* Brass disc in butt stock is stamped 047

* Butt stock mark stampings are the Broadarrow, IE inside of a circle, PATT.14 ,EY

* It has "Fatso" style stock, with valley sights (also serial number match to rifle)

Any information the group has about this rifles history would be most graciously appreciated!

Eddystone-British-Enfield-13.jpg

Eddystone-British-Enfield_2.jpg

DSCN5973.JPG

Eddystone-British-Enfield_10.jpg

Hello and welcome.

EY = E[mergenc]Y Use - this was stamped on early Pattern 14 rifles because of the inconsistency in manufacturing (according to the British inspectors) and the fact that parts differed sufficiently between the manufacturers (Remington, Winchester and Remington [Eddystone]) that they were not interchangeable. Some were also stamped with a fairly large Maltese Cross on the wood. This gave rise to the oddity that there were actually 3 models names for these rifles  Pattern 1914 MkI(R) Pattern 1914 MkI(W) and Pattern 1914 MkI(E)

As you can see from the barrel date your rifle was accepted in 1916

According to the Ministry of Munitions records (subject to my reading them correctly and adding up the weekly totals!) yours was accepted in the week ending July 22nd 1916

Is there an * (possibly quite faint) on the top of the chamber and/or the bolt handle?) after early production the lugs on the bolt were enlarged giving rise to the MkI* (say: mark one star) version of the rifle which is by far the most numerous.

In terms of service Most Pattern 14 rifles went directly into storage - by the time the deliveries came online ShtLE production had caught up with need. Some were issued to training units in the UK. I have never seen any evidence that (with the possible exception of some sniper (T) / marksman(F) variants) they saw any front line service on the Western Front in WWI.

Some were issued to UK training units, quite a large number were sent direct to India from the Factory (seemingly mostly Remington) and appear to have seen both British and Indian service there. Most went into War Reserve.  A considerable number were supplied to the Baltic States post war and more sent to India in the inter-war period. Those in store were refurbished (WRS) in the late 30s early 40 and mostly issued to the Local Defence Volunteers / Home Guard in the UK. Again telescoped sniper variants may have seen more widespread issue and there are a couple of photos of commando units training in the early war period where they appear to have some P14s. Yours appears to have escaped this as the volley sights were generally removed as part of this process, same too with most rifles that continued in late Indian service.

It is virtually impossible to tell anything about an individual rifle unless there are exceptional circumstances and supporting evidence - absent here - but the above gives you a general sense.

The 047 is probably a rack/sequential number applied by the unit to which it was issued - but when in the timeline this was applied is anyone's guess.

Looks to be a really nice original example of the kinds.

Hope this helps

Chris

Chris,

Thank you for your reply and information,

Can you suggest a further resource in regards to finding more information about the number 047 stamped on the butt stock disc?

I am very fortunate to have found this early production Pattern 14 MK1 rifle, in a non modified condition. It is a sister to my M1917 Winchester rifle!

Best regards,

31st MGB-AEF

As 4th Gordons stated it is almost certainly a rack number. I.e. It was designated rifle number 047 by whichever unit it was sent to (so they could keep track of it). Which unit did it and when is impossible to tell.

Polar Bear, 4thGordons,

Thank you both!

Best regards,

31st MGB-AEF