Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Austen Vigne - commissioned as a Lieutenant in 1881?

David26

The service record for Lt Col Robert Austen VIGNE (WO339/6847, extract below), states that he was commissioned into the RFA in 1881 as a Lieutenant, rather than as a 2nd Lieutenant.  I had wondered if this was a clerical error, but this appears to be supported by the London Gazette which states that on that date, having been a Gentleman Cadet at the Royal Military Academy, he was promoted to Lieutenant (vice F B Dalrymple, who had been promoted). 

1346161877_Vignecommissioing.PNG.6589ffd5938876c6729cd38bf2173cc6.PNG

Does anyone know if this the common practice back then to be commissioned in that way?

David.

Edited by David26
spelling

David: Up to 16 Feb 87 regular artillery officers were commissioned as Lieutenants, rather than 2nd Lieutenants. 

Edited by rflory

David,

I researched the owner of a sword I had acquired, one John Edgar Dent, who would have attended military college in 1882 and was commissioned a Lieutenant and posted to the 2nd Battalion, King's Own Borderers on the 10th of March, 1883.

The modern Australian pattern is to commission to 2nd Lieutenant those that attend Officer Cadet School (10months), but commission to Lieutenant those who graduate from the Defence Academy with a university degree. (years!!!)

Hope this helps confirm your information.

Edited by aussiesoldier