Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Q.M.A.A.C

topdeer

I am currently researching an autograph with 75 soldiers names in it but would like to find the owner of it Helen Hutchinson. I have looked 

on the Red Cross site and have found two that could be her. But have looked through the book and I can see that she may have served a Uplands

Hospital Winchester 14/9/16. I think she may have signed up before that and served at another Hospital. Here are two photos of her

name one of them has something written underneath it but I can't make it out. Any help would be appreciated 

IMG_3026.JPG

IMG_3027.JPG

There are 2 different signatures on your attachments. My guess is that the first is Helen's and the second was by someone else, signing their own name below.

The fronts of the Red Cross record cards are usually written by the person named on the card. None of them match Helen's signature.

Regards.

Alf McM

Is this the Helen Hutchinson with Regt Nb 6878 ??

the NA only have a medal card for her. Anything else you know about her??

M.

The top signature is from the back of a postcard which has a photo of a group of Nurses on it has another name underneath hers Alice Wilson (QAIMNS). The other signature is the one from the Autograph book.

The Helen Hutchinson 6878 is the one I found but the date 18/91917 does not match up with her if she was serving in 14/9/1916.

there is nothing else I have on her.

You wouldn't normally have a WAAC working in a hospital.

There are no QAIMNS records for an Alice Wilson, but there is one for Alice Wilson, T.F.N.S.  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10808594

There are quite a few pages and you should be able to see her signature on the viewer one of them. If the signature is the same, then her record should tell you her hospital.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

That looks to be Alice Wilson records and there is a Hospital name 3rd Southern General Hospital.

3rd Southern General Hospital was in Oxford. Helen doesn't appear in any nursing register, so is probably a V.A.D. The Red Cross record cards don't include all V.A.D.'s.

Regards,

Alf McM

Not sure how common this is but I have found nurse's records in WO399 under their post-war married surname.

Have also downloaded an individual's nurse record and found other nurse records along with it.

Just looked at Wilson's record and I see 2nd SGH Bristol and MH Halifax.

Can any of the soldiers be identified and proved to be at a particular hospital at the same time?

TEW

You can add the following to Wilson's service;

24th Stationary H. EGYPT?

Special H, Bristol.

MH Salford

2nd WGH

5th London GH

TEW

There is just the soldiers names and ranks,date they were wound and Place here are same of them.

IMG_0243.JPG

Edited by topdeer