Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Image may contain: 2 people, text

This is marked as showing members of the 4th KOSB training near Galashiels (where they largely recruited from)  - It "feels" like a WW1 picture but can anybody confirm the uniforms are WW1 - I'm not confident in my skills in confirming this

doesnt like they are doing much training - not a spade to be seen :lol:

It's either a forward slope or a reverse slope trench position.

Looks very much like a WW1 photo.

In the far trench they look like they're putting overhead cover with bits of logs and timber.

Great photo

Edited by themonsstar

The uniforms and general appearance of the soldiers all relate to WW1, as does the configuration of a line of trench.  In WW2 that style had been abandoned because once entered on a flank it was relatively straightforward to clear it lineally using bomb and bayonet.  In WW2 separate slit trenches, each of two or three men, and separated in such a way as to provide mutual support with interlocking arcs, had become the new system.  There is an officer stood to the right in a double-breasted greatcoat

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks everybody - some great information. - Worth spending some time trying identify the personnel then 

Gavin

7 hours ago, Coldstreamer said:

doesnt like they are doing much training - not a spade to be seen :lol:

Council workers Batt!

42 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Council workers Batt!

That's an outrageous slur!

Council workers would have a spade to lean on.:lol:

I think I identified the officer - I think its Lt J M Dod - He served with the 1/4th Batt. KOSB in Gallipoli and was invalided home in mid 1915 - later in 1917 he was made an Adjutant of volunteers so he appears to have kept a role in the army.

The 3/4th Batt. was formed in January 1915 and remained in Galashiels until early 1916 (thanks Long Long Trail)  so the men may well have come from that Batt. 

Having helped my grandfather work in a garden not far from there I don't envy them. the soil was often full of stones - digging those trenches would have been hard work. 

Thanks again 

Gavin

1-4 KOSB Officers - Marked Up.jpg

4th KOSB Training near Galashiels.jpg

I have the 1914 to the son of Lt Col McNeile

3 hours ago, PhilB said:

Two Duns in the photo - brothers? And that QM - far too big to be a Jock?:P

I like the way they put the two smallest officers next to him to make him look even bigger - somebody has a sense of humour