Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with identifying Bert

Kathryn

Hello,

I bought a grouping belonging to a Royal Field Artillery serviceman by the name of Bert. Among the items was a very poignant photo locket with a photo of a soldier one one side and that of a young child on the other which included a lock of their golden hair.

There were some RFA insignia and one of the cards also bore that insignia. The second card is addressed to a Mrs B something. I have considered Blomer, B. Comer and B. Conner and none seem to fit. Bert could just be Bert but could also be short for Albert, Herbert, Hubert.

I was wondering if anyone here could decipher the surname. The address is real - 39 Swaton Rd in Bow East, London. Is it possible to look for addresses without a surname in the census?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Best regards,
Kathryn.

Bert grouping postcard.jpg

Bert grouping 2.jpg

Bert grouping 1.jpg

In 1911 the Bradley family were resident at 39 Swaton Road - no Albert/Bert etc.

Craig

Thanks for your very prompt response Craig. Were they still there at the next census date? If so, I guess I will have to give up!

1 minute ago, Kathryn said:

Thanks for your very prompt response Craig. Were they still there at the next census date? If so, I guess I will have to give up!

The 1911 census is the latest available, the 1921 census has not yet been released.

Craig

5 minutes ago, Kathryn said:

The voters lists show the Bradleys were resident at #39 until at least 1925.

Craig

Of course - not 100 years has passed. I bet once it does come out, there will be many mysteries solved!

Were there any daughters in the Bradley household that Bert could have been associated with?

A possible to look at further,

In 1911 they had several children - one of them being Rose.

In 1915 a Rose Bradley, of Poplar, married a Herbert H Church

Capture.PNG

Craig

The PC in post #1 definitely looks to me like Blom*. 1911 census has a Blomer family in Knapp Rd. Which is a stone's throw from Swaton Rd. In fact they could be neighbours via their back gardens.

TEW

Fascinating. Was there a Blomer in the census with a name that could be shortened to Bert?

Just now, Kathryn said:

Fascinating. Was there a Blomer in the census with a name that could be shortened to Bert?

Not with that family in 1911.

Craig

1 minute ago, Kathryn said:

Shame :mellow:

Could be an adult child who are not resident in 1911

Craig

That's also a good thought because the man in the photo doesn't look like a boy as many of the younger soldiers did. Was the same family resident at that address in 1901?

Who says Bert is related to Mrs Blom*?

TEW

No one at all but the grouping all came together and Bert and the RFA links the items. 

4 minutes ago, Kathryn said:

No one at all but the grouping all came together and Bert and the RFA links the items. 

William and Mary Blomer had 2 children. By 1911 the census records only 1 is living (not named on the 1911 census but 1901 shows a child, 6 yr old Maud).

In 1891 they also has their brother in law living with them - Bertram Oxborough, born 1870 in Croxton.

In WW1 there was a Bertie Oxborough who served but he is noted on the medal records as Suffolk Regiment. That being said, the medal records do not show all service in the war for all men.

Craig

I am amazed as always by the researching skills of everyone on these forums. My feeling with this lot is that I'm not going to know for sure and therefore I am best to just display it as the lovely personal grouping that it is.

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions.

2 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

In 1911 the Bradley family were resident at 39 Swaton Road - no Albert/Bert etc.

Like many such houses at the lower end of the market in London, 39 Swaton Road, Bow was actually multiple occupancy.

Household 1 was the Bradley’s.

Head of the household was the 61 year old Charles Bradley, a married Contractors Horsekeeper, born Mile End, London. He lives there with his wife of 34 years Mathilda, aged 57, born London (Bromly?).

The parents marriage looks to be that of a Charles Henry Bradley to a Leonora Matilda Davis recorded in the Mile End Old Town District of London in Q3, 1877.

The couple have had 9 children, of which 6 were then still alive.

Still single and living with them were:-

George Bradley, 31, Licensed Conductor Motor bus, born Mile End.

Rose Bradley, 24, Typist Agents Office, born Mile End

• The birth of a Rose Lilian Bradley, mothers’ maiden name Davis, recorded Poplar District Q4 1886 – NB the 1915 marriage identified was of a Rose M. Bradley.

Louisa Bradley, 19, Typist Insurance Office, born Bromly(?)

• The birth of a Louisa Annie Bradley, mothers’ maiden name Davis, recorded Poplar District Q4 1891

Amy(?) Bradley, 7, born Bromly(?)

The 1901 Census adds a Henry, then aged 22, born Mile End, and a Florence, then aged 18, born Poplar.

• Probably the birth of a Florence Matilda Bradley, mothers’ maiden name not available, recorded Poplar District Q1 1883.

Household 2 is difficult to decipher – could be surname Hix, Nix, Nie, Hie, etc, etc. Thomas, (71, No occupation) and Mary Anne, (68) have only been married 4 years, so I suspect each has been previously widowed.

So I’m afraid given the inflation and other pressures on wartime housing, particularly in London, that throws up all kinds of possibilities.

• Our elusive lady could have taken over the second tenancy at this address.
  • She could be a married sister of father Charles Henry Bradley.
  • She could be a married sister of Mathilda Bradley, nee Davis.
  • It could be one of their married daughters moved back in with them, or possibly being a wartime marriage, they never had a chance to set up their own household.

Not sure how much that helps – in fact by calling into question the marriage of Rose it may actually have knocked things back.

When you do believe the right marriage has been identified then a marriage certificate should, as a minimum, show rank and regiment \ corps, as a minimum. Similarly if a child was born during the period the father was serving, then fathers’ occupation on the birth certificate should show the same information as a minimum.

Might be worthwhile posting the picture of the Royal Artillery “A Merry Christmas and a A Happy New Year” card separately in a new thread and asking if anyone can identify which year it might have been produced. At least that would give you some idea of when he might have been serving in France.

Cheers,

Peter

Beaten by PRC but just seen the Nye/Nie addition to No. 39. Clutching at straws but there is a Herbert next door in No. 41.

TEW

Hi Peter,

It's actually a booklet rather than a card. I have scanned the contents as you suggested. Not sure if that helps?

Bert's booklet 1.jpg

Bert's booklet 2.jpg

Bert's booklet 3.jpg

Bert's booklet 4.jpg

The address on the card may look like a 'y' at the end, does it look like Blomeley ?

Dave 

from freebmd

Births Mar 1880   (>99%)
Blomberg  Charlotte Annie    St. Geo. East  1c 408  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Blomberg  Harriet Eleanor    Poplar  1c 668  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Blomeley  Herbert    Hendon  3a 150  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view